Have you ever sold a Boat or Car on ebay?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Killcrop, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Just wondering how it went. I listed a boat today. Ebay never fails to sell guitar gear. Boat may be something different. :huh

2. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

When you sell it, you will both be happy. :dude

3. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I sold a car back in 2000 when eBay was young and hot. :)

Fantastic experience. I'm in NJ, and a guy in CA bought it. I stipulated that I would not transport the car and that it was his problem, and he had someone get it and they handed me cash.

Of course back then they couldn't just decide they didn't like it three months later and I don't think PayPal existed yet, so things may be very different now.

4. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

I've haven't had bad experiences with cars and a motorcycle. It really is. Alot more like a classified ad with locals often reaching out to you.

5. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

I sold a coat once on ebay, but never a bar.

6. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

You're drunk! Go home!!!:)

7. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

I bought my 91 Vette on eBay. We actually did the deal outside of eBay because I didn't want to bid sight-unseen but the guy sent eBay the money they would have made on the transaction - about $250 in memory serves. Stand up guy for sure...

8. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

They don't let you pay with PP. Not sure why but the amount is capped at 2K on PP.

9. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I have sold 2 cars on ebay.

Both easy transactions.

10. claudel

claudel Member

I bought a rock climber CJ with a 350 Chevy in Boise, ID. from the 'bay

Flew into Boise ( nice town, BTW ), paid the seller, and drove it home to Las Vegas.

Easy deal.

I probably won't make that drive in an open car in February again though...

Nice Jeep too, if it got more than 4MPG I'd probably still have it...

11. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I sold a sailboat for a friend of mine some years ago. The buyer was in Fl and they met in DC. It was an excellent arrangement all around and I made a nice commission. He asked me to sell a kayak he built recently. Told him I'd think about it.

12. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

It's been four or five years, but I've sold six or seven cars and motorcycles on eBay. All pretty straightforward transactions - conclude the auction, PayPal for the deposit, arrange pickup or delivery, inspect, pay the balance. I delivered probably half of them, all for a fair profit/fee, and the others were no-nonsense pickup. One guy got a little grumpy about arranging pickup within a few weeks (as per eBay/auction rules), but once he straightened up, nothing but smooth. I've bought a few as well, and as with any private party transaction, I highly recommend (or expect) a mechanic's inspection. As it happens, I'm presently on the hunt.

13. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

I sold 2 motorcycles on ebay last year without a problem. After running craigslist ads for many weeks with nothing but weirdo lowballers, Ebay fees were welcome. One of the buyers was out of state and he hired someone to pick it up with a truck.
    I would do it again.

14. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I've sold two motorcycles on ebay as well. I just made it a local auction/pickup locally- easypeasy!

15. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I sold a 2001 Trans Am a few years back on ebay. For the most part the transaction was smooth. I'm in NJ and the buyer was in FL. He flew up here, asked me to pick him up at the airport and he drove the car home. He even paid me a few extra bucks for the card ride. I think the only problem I had was the paperwork which for some reason I needed to get the local PD to sign off on something for his insurance or title transfer, I can't remember.

16. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

I've listed two on eBay, years ago. I sold my Camaro SS on eBay with a BIN bid. A few hours later I get the song & dance about "my kid was playing with my computer". This was before the PayPal involvement, and eBay woulnd't honor my non-paying bidder complaint. As such, I was out the listing fee + final value fee, which came to about $150. 18 hours later the same kid "accidentially" bought a Corvette. I monitored that transaction for feedback, which was positive on both sides. Obviously I was lied to.

The other was for a Tacoma, which the guy brought me cash and I just canceled the listing. Which given my first experience, I didn't feel too guilty about. So, I guess it was a wash...

17. scott944

scott944 Member

No experience with ebay, but sold a car using Autotrader. It worked well.