Have you ever turned your amp up full?

sully7266

Holy crap! My Hughes & Kettner 36 gets unbelievably hot, even when attenuated to 1W or 5W. You literally cannot leave your hand on top of the amp for the heat of it. I'm waiting for the video of someone frying an egg on a H&K tube head. Every component has a combustion point, and I'm betting some of them are getting pretty close.
Hey - You may know this/maybe I misunderstood, but when you say "Hughes & Kettner 36 gets unbelievably hot, even when attenuated to 1W or 5W." -- You are actually gonna be much hotter attenuated as you are turning power into heat.

I've been using a couple H&K 36s ever since I stopped lugging my Marshalls around. Very versatile little units. Surprised you don't see them more often. Admittedly, they can be a little fizzy if you don't watch your settings. I usually run them @ 18 - as I find the lower wattage settings choke the tone a bit for my liking.

If you have not put the TM36 thru a nice 4X12 - do it when you get a chance - You won't believe the tone - esp if you are typically running them thru the H&K 1X12 or 2X12. That would be the best time to get it towards dimed - for a test - you know - for science.

wire-n-wood

Tin Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Hey - You may know this/maybe I misunderstood, but when you say "Hughes & Kettner 36 gets unbelievably hot, even when attenuated to 1W or 5W." -- You are actually gonna be much hotter attenuated as you are turning power into heat.

I've been using a couple H&K 36s ever since I stopped lugging my Marshalls around. Very versatile little units. Surprised you don't see them more often. Admittedly, they can be a little fizzy if you don't watch your settings. I usually run them @ 18 - as I find the lower wattage settings choke the tone a bit for my liking.

If you have not put the TM36 thru a nice 4X12 - do it when you get a chance - You won't believe the tone - esp if you are typically running them thru the H&K 1X12 or 2X12. That would be the best time to get it towards dimed - for a test - you know - for science.

Oh yes, of course that makes sense. I find the power soak brilliant. I practice at home on 5W. And when I've used the H&K 36 for gigs, I've attenuated to 18W simply because it was replacing my normal 15W Blues Jr... so seemed the right ball park for power.

I've gotta say, the clarity and tone from the H&K is magical. Even the crunch channel has such a beautiful articulation to it... whether at 5W or 18W. I would use it all the time if not for the hassle of lugging the speaker cab around.

As for a 4x12... I've never tried. I'm not really a "might get loud" kind of guy. Hence the fact I've never tried my amps on full. And when I bought the vertical 2X12, it never occurred to me that I might need or want the 4x12. But in the right environment, yep, it would be fun to try.

sully7266

Oh yes, of course that makes sense. I find the power soak brilliant. I practice at home on 5W. And when I've used the H&K 36 for gigs, I've attenuated to 18W simply because it was replacing my normal 15W Blues Jr... so seemed the right ball park for power.

I've gotta say, the clarity and tone from the H&K is magical. Even the crunch channel has such a beautiful articulation to it... whether at 5W or 18W. I would use it all the time if not for the hassle of lugging the speaker cab around.

As for a 4x12... I've never tried. I'm not really a "might get loud" kind of guy. Hence the fact I've never tried my amps on full. And when I bought the vertical 2X12, it never occurred to me that I might need or want the 4x12. But in the right environment, yep, it would be fun to try.

Yes - Agreed on the tones - that clean H&K sound - some call it Hi-Fi - love it!! . Adding - the H&K 2X12 is a whole different voice than stacking 2 of the 1X12s - and then a 4X12 is a whole different tone as well - really opens it up. I use Marshall 4X12 - usually still Vintage 30 - like the H&Ks. Even if you aren't gonna do the "dime test" - still plug thru a 4X12 at your normal settings sometime when you are able. You'll enjoy it. You certainly won't see me w/ a 4X12 at a gig though - unless someone else wants to lug it - and they don't. : )

Also - You know - w/ the red box - you can just go direct if you don't want to carry the speaker(s). I will usually use the red box out even if I am using speakers with it - I don't like to worry about knocking the mic out of place - and I like to avoid wind noise outdoors.

Even if I am using my fractal - I'll have one of my TM36 w/ me as back up.

Nice chatting - rock on!!

wire-n-wood

Tin Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Yes - Agreed on the tones - that clean H&K sound - some call it Hi-Fi - love it!! . Adding - the H&K 2X12 is a whole different voice than stacking 2 of the 1X12s - and then a 4X12 is a whole different tone as well - really opens it up. I use Marshall 4X12 - usually still Vintage 30 - like the H&Ks. Even if you aren't gonna do the "dime test" - still plug thru a 4X12 at your normal settings sometime when you are able. You'll enjoy it. You certainly won't see me w/ a 4X12 at a gig though - unless someone else wants to lug it - and they don't. : )

Also - You know - w/ the red box - you can just go direct if you don't want to carry the speaker(s). I will usually use the red box out even if I am using speakers with it - I don't like to worry about knocking the mic out of place - and I like to avoid wind noise outdoors.

Even if I am using my fractal - I'll have one of my TM36 w/ me as back up.

Nice chatting - rock on!!
Cool. So when you use the red-box out, are you going straight into the PA. So 100% of your sound is coming through the PA speakers and monitors? Does that still feel responsive and have the H&K tone?

I use a Blackstar vertical 2x12. Very happy with it, but keen to try a 4x12 when I get the chance.

sully7266

Cool. So when you use the red-box out, are you going straight into the PA. So 100% of your sound is coming through the PA speakers and monitors? Does that still feel responsive and have the H&K tone?

I use a Blackstar vertical 2x12. Very happy with it, but keen to try a 4x12 when I get the chance.

Straight into PA - yes - even when I have speakers w/ me. Tone doesn't change a bit to FOH. I would always rather have speaker interplay - and there is a slight feel difference if you go direct and don't have that. Test that @ practice before doing it live. Also - I'm usually IEM anyway (for many years) - so - there's that well. I think IEM makes your tone interplay a little weird as well - as far as getting used to it - and not going amp/speaker right to your ears. So your results may vary. I'd be curious.

I'd still be using a Marshall 100W if I could get away w/ it, but for most of the stuff I do - it's just too much - and I don't want to carry it. I've used those TM36s for over a decade - and I mentioned I am also fractal live much of the time now as well.

Oh - and I went right into blathering on and never answered your original question.

I dime all of 'em - and everything I've listed below is beautiful dimed/sweet spot cranked, but not diming too often anymore:

1979 Marshall MK2 100W (1960AV 4X12 V30s)

Marshall TSL100 (Haters gonna hate - go ahead - I can't hear you over my TSL)
(circa 70s Carvin 4X12 w/ 90W Rola Celestions)

1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb

H&K TM36 (H&K 1X12s V30, Greenback Celestion, Scumback - H&K 2X12 V30 - above mentioned 4X12s when I feel like moving cables)

Budda Superdrive 18 Combo

Silvertone 1482 - various mid-60s - almost always dimed - that's about 100db - and they are all about sweet spot there. I usually use 2 at a time and add a holy grail reverb to the sweet sweet tremolo they already have.

I could keep listing, but I am guessing most stopped reading...

juxtapolice

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, though i think amps that sound best cranked tend to sound best when you back off a bit, like a fuzzface. Also a cranked amp is great for seeing how versatile your guitar is with just volume/tone manipulation. Though I tend to run my amps to the point where they just start to breakup. Ill add youd be surprised what happens with certain amps. My Swart, for example, it a pretty bright amp but as you crank it and crank the tone itll start to compress and overdrive in those frequencies, like a Vox. Its interesting, and not particulary louder either, just more driven

The number that your master volume is on is arbitrary. You could have it on 3 and peak the power amp section. Turn it up to get the sound you want and be able to clean it up when you back off.

I loooove cranking my Supro Saturn. As James May says, it gives me the fizz. The crazy thing is I haven't found a setting on the volume dial that hasn't been good. 25w of 6V6 glory. So good.

Alan Dunn

My amp (Carr Rambler 1x12 Combo) is relatively small so I quite often run it at or near full volume in triode mode [14w]. In the 28w Pentode mode at home the music room [20x12 ft] simply isn't big enough to take advantage of it at full volume so I tend to just play clean tones or stamp on a pedal for overdrive tones at half volume or so.
In a bigger room though I love the Rambler at full volume.

Russ73

In the late 90s my band had a thing going with Peavey and they shipped me a XXX head...I also used 5150s but at a gig in CBGBs I had to dime the XXX to fill the room....it was a softer 120 head than the 5150s for sure....damn amp held up though!!

tmh77

Silver Supporting Member
Marshall 1974x I only play cranked to 10, using the guitar volume control to control the gain, max 18 I’ve played max Out but it sounds better at about 50-75% with the Mv at 10. I have an always on naga viper running through both to push them even harder

shoule79

Yes, pretty much everyone except Twin Reverbs and my old JCM 800. Cranking an old Fender amp and using your volume control is pretty much a must-try for any guitar player.

Derrick111

Yep... all the time! Live and in the studio.

copy.jpg

AStrangeDay

I once Turned My Supro 64 Super to the max and It was glorious. The clean up tone was really unbelievable with my Firebird. I love that little amp

Rbh32

I have several times.. just had to wait until no one was home and the neighbors were at work (except for the old lady next door, she can’t hear). used earplugs every time too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom