Have you found a good amp tech? ... And would like to share

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lavinci, Apr 29, 2015.

1. lavinci

lavinci Member

I'm a tube amp fanatic...
    I am very very fortunate to have found an amp tech that is amazing.

MARK WEISS from Amplifier Experts.
    https://www.facebook.com/AmplifierExperts

He has worked on all my amp and is a very talented tech... Really knows electronics, has an awesome bench, and is a world class audio engineer too boot.

He is based in CT but services amps from all over the country. Guitar amp, audiophile amps, recording gear, broadcast, even broadcast radio.
    I highly recommend him to anyone...

So now it's your turn to tell us about your favorite amp tech

La\\//inci

2. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

The man I use for all my amp related work is Jeff Andrews, of www.andrewsamplab.com. He not only does great work, he's just a mile from my place here in beautiful downtown Dunwoody. How convenient is that?

Jeff is also an amp builder and is doing some incredible work. Jeff has an amazing knowledge of electronics. He also has a side business of repairing and consigning vintage amps. He blackfaced my 72 Vibrolux Reverb and did an incredible job. He's an expert on old amps, too, and knows what's right and wrong with an amp you might be thinking of buying. He's helped me out numerous times when I was the ignoramus!

He's also a car fanatic and we've become friends over the years. We have done a few rallies with other mutual friends to the North Georgia mountains that were a blast!!

HMTM

3. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

Before I left NY the only guy I ever brought my amps to was Chris Davis, based out of wappingers. Took my stuff to him for close to 10 years with nothing but stellar work. Whether it was retubing, fixing shoddy electronics or modding the piss out of my amps, he always delivered and I never had to bring my stuff back until I needed a retube.

That, honest pricing and an all around great guy; I highly recommend him.

PaulE likes this.
  4. Russian Hammer

Russian Hammer Supporting Member

Jim Sidney @ Gourmet PA Systems has been great to work with. Cranberry Township Pa. 20 miles NW of Pittsburgh.

5. mscotts

mscotts What?! Silver Supporting Member

Our very own Fusionbear (Carl Esparza)!!
    or "The Amp Whisperer" as I like to refer to him.....

pbmw likes this.
  6. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Andy Fuchs of Fuchs Amps has done work on a couple of my amps. Dave Sound Whippany as well.

I used to use Bob Detorre when I lived in Boston but I believe he has retired now.

7. DesertDirtDog

DesertDirtDog Member

No one works on my amps but Lowell Hunt @ http://www.huntamps.com/205033D38CCA4CC1A79A/pro-jr-rebuild/ in Phoenix, AZ.

The guy is a great tech, more than fair in his pricing, and has always been really quick to help me out- plus, you couldn't ask for a nicer guy to work with.

The link takes you to the custom circuit he designed and built for me. I have 3 gigging amps, and I love this one as much as the other two- a BadCat Custom Shop Cub II 112T with an EJ1250, and a Victoria Regal II with a Celestion Gold.

Rick Lee and nater9 like this.
  8. lavinci

lavinci Member

Keep it up guys, these are the types of testimonials that I think will be valuable to other members of the community. You never know when you'll need one. Having one thread to refer back to will be a good resource for all.

As mentioned above some of the more experienced amp techs are getting older and retiring. I would hope that as the turnover continues new blood comes in and continues to service these most amazing instruments - That we loving know as guitar tube amplifiers.

La\\//inci

9. mojo jones

mojo jones Member

Could really use a good Fender amp guy in or near Houston. Anyone?

10. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Jeff also does my amp repairs. I bought my '76 JMP 1987 from him and he put a PPIMV on it and did some other work on it. I've bought speakers from him. He's worked on my '66 Pro Reverb and my '82 JCM800 4210. I make the hour drive from North Georgia to see him because he's honest and he's good.

If anyone lives in the Atlanta area he's the guy to go to.

11. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

Patrick McKeever at Chicago Amp Works. Bands like Wilco and Smashing Pumpkins entrust him with their enormous collections of amps - and for good reason. Not only does he specialize in vintage amp repair and restoration, but he has his own line of custom boutique amps (Sweet Amplification).
    http://chicagoampworks.com/

12. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

He is a very nice guy but $300 later he could not fix my Silvertone 1474 amp. I know its an oddball amp but he kept insisting that it had to much gain so he changed the pre amp tube lay out and I got back a really loud hum amp that never hummed before I took it to him he then told me to change the tubes $200 later guess what it still hums loud at idle. I did not want the amp to be changed to a Fender which was what I felt he was going for. So he might be great at some more main stream stuff but not Dan Electro amps. The only man that gets my money know is Mike Whtiney at spindrift guitars in New London CT.

13. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

Those are 2 great shops in the north Jersey area.

musicman1 and Fatboy666 like this.
  14. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Local guy.. Casey Gooby. I've only used him once but everyone else that I've talked to has the same story, he'll make you amp sound the best you've ever heard it.

15. howthewestwas1

howthewestwas1 Supporting Member

Can't say enough good things about Pete Cage in Virginia. He has helped me out with my current three blackfaces as well as a few silverfaces that have gone on to new homes. Very cool dude who does great work.

I am very interested in this as we are moving back home to Houston in the summer.

16. pvampmgr

pvampmgr Member

Uncle Albert's in Indianapolis. Kevin Silva is a GREAT amp tech and builds some amazing sounding amps that aren't derivatives of other amps. Highly, highly recommended.

17. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

Came here to say the same. He's pretty much THE guy in the area.

18. wpod

wpod Member

Amphead in Portland worked on my PR and did a great job. Promptly done, fair prices but most of all dialed in the specs requested. Jim listened to my hopes and provided insight and expertise. Great service and a valued resource.

19. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I feel truly lucky to have moved to NC and immediately find Dale at Megatone Amps in Greensboro. Builds his own and has great understanding of tube amp circuits. Brought my SFPR and IIC+ back to life. Good turn around and good prices. Has a mancave to crank amps and test different speakers. Highly recommended.

ThePitbullofLove likes this.
  20. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

Andy Webb in Santa Barbara, Ca. Great prices, great work, great communication, and a great guy. No one touches my Vintage amps but Andy.