Have you guys seen this YouTube comparison of different pots?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MollyPolly, Jan 21, 2015.

1. MollyPolly

MollyPolly Senior Member

Not sure if this has been posted before...

I've been thinking about an 'upgrade' to my new Strat, so I've been surfing around looking at different pots and kits and the like.

Then I stumbled on this video and it kind of made me wonder whether it's worth the trouble.

What do you guys think?

2. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Just like his tone capacitor video, it was cleaver and interesting but in both instances he doesn't take actual measurements of the pots or caps; would be a better experiment if he tried to ensure they all measured the same.

3. lowbrow

lowbrow Member

Potentiometers, as we know them, are simply variable carbon comp resistors. All else being equal, you'll be able to change your sound way more with your picking than by changing brands of pots. Having said that, they all do have different feels, and that's a perfectly valid reason to prefer one kind over another.

4. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Values are values . Like the op said they have different "feel" or taper to it. Some the value changes gradual, others the value changes quickly.

5. old goat

old goat Member

Why?

6. MollyPolly

MollyPolly Senior Member

the guitar came with a pre-wired pickguard from a company called Dragonfire, which uses cheap import components. The guitar has a bit more noise than it should, and doesn't seem grounded properly either.

I thought upgrading the pots, switch, jack, sheilding and wiring might solve the problem.

After all, it's only like $25 worth of parts.