• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Have You Had a Gear Snob Reaction to a Song

PhuzzphayzZ

HA!!!!- EDIT: Fiiiiinally changed the Title. You can't hurt me anymore, haha!!!

my friend texted to check out the song.... it starts with Hendrix backwards stuff, so I get why my friend sent it. But then it seems to become a country song, and I lost interest and turned it off, thinking my friend just wanted to show that 'country can rock'... then later I saw the full text, and he had wanted me to listen to the WHOLE song....ah, a point.... and I did, but, by the end I was kind of taken aback by the, imo, somewhat overuse ... I know it's not 'forced' but... I was just like 'c'mon maaan'

I thought I'd like a country song to have FX.... but not the kitchen sink...

I don't know if this is well loved song/artist, first time I heard it, .... I was like, gimme either MOAR,... or less,... but right there it's just too much

I could practically hear the dollar amounts of his cool tones (now someone will tell me the opposite, lol)

I only Post this here as it came from someone "from the outside" who thought I'd be impressed by his use of FX. I didn't realize I could be so hyper critical, but, I would've just done it altogether different- not soooooo many climaxes, oy.... a different tone at every turn? NOT in Country:bitch:brick:hide2

ARE THERE SONGS THAT BRING OUT THE GEAR SNOB IN YOU?

Last edited:

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I like everything about the tune ……except the country part. The backward loops and slide loops were cool…nice tones… guess I don’t like new country :rotflmao :D

Baskervils

my friend texted to check out the song.... it starts with Hendrix backwards stuff, so I get why my friend sent it. But then it seems to become a country song, and I lost interest and turned it off, thinking my friend just wanted to show that 'country can rock'... then later I saw the full text, and he had wanted me to listen to the WHOLE song....ah, a point.... and I did, but, by the end I was kind of taken aback by the, imo, somewhat overuse ... I know it's not 'forced' but... I was just like 'c'mon maaan'

I thought I'd like a country song to have FX.... but not the kitchen sink...

I don't know if this is well loved song/artist, first time I heard it, .... I was like, gimme either MOAR,... or less,... but right there it's just too much

I could practically hear the dollar amounts of his cool tones (now someone will tell me the opposite, lol)

I only Post this here as it came from someone "from the outside" who thought I'd be impressed by his use of FX. I didn't realize I could be so hyper critical, but, I would've just done it altogether different- not soooooo many climaxes, oy.... a different tone at every turn? NOT in Country:bitch:brick:hide2

ARE THERE SONGS THAT BRING OUT THE GEAR SNOB IN YOU?
As a straightforward country song, this is nicely recorded.

At some point, we realized that our band were only adding the interesting bits in intros, solos and breaks when the interesting bits should be going through the entire song.

If you can do that, along with writing compelling rhythms, melodies and lyrics, you are the master.

It took 3000 hours of stage time and George Martin thousands of hours of recording for the Beatles to achieve that.

PhuzzphayzZ

At some point, we realized that our band were only adding the interesting bits in intros, solos and breaks when the interesting bits should be going through the entire song.

If you can do that, along with writing compelling rhythms, melodies and lyrics, you are the master.

It took 3000 hours of stage time and George Martin thousands of hours of recording for the Beatles to achieve that.
Ah, the Theme of the Thread! yes, excellent encapsulation

'Ashes to Ashes' comes to mind....

but yea, integration

PhuzzphayzZ

The added line was corny, though.
I had to look it up... I had a negative reaction to the whole treatment... didn't he change the actual chord progression? (am I gettin songs confused again?)... and, in the video he looks like that actor....uh ...uh (couldn't get past that, lol)

kinda like Clapton's acoustic Layla, just can't handle the 'swing'

this Thread was probably a bad idea, lol

MrPurple

He’s legit doing it his way. He’s a Grammy winner, busked outside the CMA (Country Music) awards, has done an anime Netflix movie and associated album…check his SNL appearance, early in Trump reign…maybe the best 4 minutes of music I’ve ever seen on network tv

edit : fixed AMA to CMA… acronyms:dunno

Last edited:

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
I had to look it up... I had a negative reaction to the whole treatment... didn't he change the actual chord progression? (am I gettin songs confused again?)... and, in the video he looks like that actor....uh ...uh (couldn't get past that, lol)

kinda like Clapton's acoustic Layla, just can't handle the 'swing'

this Thread was probably a bad idea, lol
Yeah, I hadn’t heard it in a while and just listened to it. Turns out the whole thing’s corny, and with a dumbed down melody where the second half of each verse is a duplication of the first. There’s a fair amount of irony in the changed line.

PhuzzphayzZ

I honestly can't think of any songs that give me the same reaction- beyond the 'BadToneThread' type stuff, but....

maybe the Tremolo in 'Crimson&Clover' is a bit 'not dialed' in'.... maybe Kravitz's flange is a bit too much.... but...eh, nothing comes to mind....

PhuzzphayzZ

Pretty sure this is the Dave Cobb produced record. I think it's incredible and inventive, especially in the tightly wound and typical produced Country/pop world.

What in the world is wrong with this track? I think it's ruling!
glad you chimed in

I think it's more of me being here all the time, and just having a diva moment... I mean, I agree, it's more than you're gonna get normally...

DanielLanois comes to mind....

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
glad you chimed in

I think it's more of me being here all the time, and just having a diva moment... I mean, I agree, it's more than you're gonna get normally...

DanielLanois comes to mind....
Ha! You're entitled to your feels dude :) I agree with the Lanois vibes too.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
Leon Russell is rolling over in his grave.... someone channeled some good 70's music and folks think of it as 'country'.
This would have been MOTR FM Material, bitd.

... the great polarization in music continues.

bigben55

I love Sturgill Simpson, and agree, that particular tune in its entirety is not for me. BUT, I completely applaud him for doing it that way. Im 100% positive he/they knew 100% that heres a track that will never get ANY radio airplay, guaranteed. Yet they did it anyway. Simpson is really one of those artists who makes music he wants to make without giving 2 craps who's gonna like it. And I think music in general needs more of that.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom