Have You Lived Through a Substantial Natural Disaster?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by A-Bone, Apr 13, 2019.

1. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Its still pretty fresh. My town burned on 11/8/2018. My home did too.

We have landed on our feet.

84 people lost their lives.

I was also in the Loma Prieta quake in 89. My then girlfriend, now wife, were living in a 1940s apartment that sagged above two carports in Redwood City. I was afraid to sleep there that night.

2. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

Bright leisure suits? My eyesight has never been the same.

Several Tornadoes. Watched a house in the neighborhood floating in the air Wizard of Oz like when I was a kid...just some mud and debris dumped on our place. That town was decimated by one not too many years back, I made it through the barricades down some alleys within an hour after it happened to check on my family still in town, no cell service. One block over homes were leveled, theirs had some damage but escaped.

Big wildfire right across the river from us.

Knocking on wood.

A-Bone likes this.
  3. Bob Longo

Bob Longo Gold Supporting Member

Hurricane Hortense, Hurricane Georges, and Hurricane Irma, Hurricane Maria- all in Puerto Rico.

All seemed bad until Maria. That's what bad is,

Eric Rowland, Okra, lousyatit and 3 others like this.
  4. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Save for 3 fairly destructive brush fires growing up in Malibu (and if I count 4, I was really lucky with this last one, as I left West Hills for LAX to fly back here just as they were closing 101 at Valley Circle), the Northridge quake is all...although anyone who was close enough (as we were - 4.5 miles from the epicenter) will tell ya it was more than enough. The sound of it coming woke me just before the initial jolt, and it was just so f'ing intense it was almost comical, and totally drove it into me how much energy's behind any earthquake.

Only scary quake I've ever felt, and the 4 or so hours before the sun came up and you could actually see the devastation were surreal...we got off easy, but some others we knew not so much.

Peteyvee and A-Bone like this.
  5. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake.... that was a big one.
    The two story parking structure at the Whiitier Quad collapsed.
    About one mile from my home.

A-Bone likes this.
  6. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Amazing how a few miles difference, mattered a lot in Katrina.

Craig, as you can see, was much closer to and on the dangerous right hand side of the storm in Katrina. His loss was like the traumatic amputation and loss of a limb. An immediate shock, but from there you know what you have to do. As for the people in New Orleans, the elevation of your neighborhood meant a tremendous amount. My house and my girlfriends house marinaded in liquid filth up to the tops of the doorframes, for a very long time, while Sid Vicious, in Mid City (I think) saw much less of that. Houses on his street were readily restored, while the overwhelming percentages of the houses around both my girlfriends and mine, just 20 or so blocks North, have been replaced entirely or took years to rehabilitate. For me it was like having a rotten, heavily damaged arm or leg where the doctors couldn't decide what to do next.

I have a framed photo of a childhood friend of mine; she's long deceased now. The photo is totally devastated, and everyone suggests I just toss it. But when I'm tired, and I've had 3-4 glasses of wine, I can look at the framed photo of her and sometimes I get to see her face again. So, it is both a blessing and a curse to have damaged "stuff" when Craig's "stuff" just got wiped clean away and he is done worrying about it.

Human beings and their societal inclinations make a huge difference. Most agree that Hancock and Harrison Counties took a far more devastating punch than Orleans and Jefferson Parishes did. But the Mississippians went right to work, restoring their lives while NOLA went into hand wringing mode (and I'm still in it to some extent). I would drive over to the Gulfport Airport to fly out of the area (Allegiant) because the folks over there were wasting no time getting on with their lives. Meanwhile in New Orleans, people got caught in a sort of loop (and I'm one of those people, believe me) and couldn't see clearly what we were supposed to be doing.

8. rolsen

rolsen Member

I've not, save for minor Seattle area earthquakes. What I would fear -and I'm interested in other' experience - is how do you rebuild your home from fire/hurricane/flood when you're competing with hundreds of others filing claims and hiring contractors? Do you just settle for whatever hack/crook contractor available?

Also, floodplain victims getting hit with regularity. I could not imagine. Our homes are not designed (unfortunately) to withstand rot from these events. I have my thoughts on this from a land use planning perspective but that doesn't fold nicely into the reality that millions of families cannot simply abandon their investment for higher ground (or less fire prone, or hurricane prone, etc).

Anyone care to share their 'put back' experience with insurance, contractors, interim accommodations, transportation?

9. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Member

A coworker in Atlanta was in his second floor apartment in Sandy Springs when it was hit by a tornado. He and his wife/girlfriend - I forget - emerged from a closet to find the side of his living room torn away. He had not been happy working where we worked but that prompted him to quit the next day and commit to doing stand-up comedy full time. I looked him up a couple of years ago and he'd since acquired a doctorate and was living the dream. He played guitar and gave me some of my first tab books.

A-Bone likes this.
  10. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

YEs, Loma Preita earthquake. Massive damage in our neighborhood, but I just lost a case of empty beer bottles and some grasses. Our office building was red tagged.

Okra and A-Bone like this.
  11. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

I've lived in the middle FL Keys for 26 years, Irma hit us hard. Direct hit. I lost ~$40-50K in possessions (uninsured) and 2/3rds of my income. Might not be a lot of $$$ to some people, but I've been surviving off of being a local musician the last 22 years and cost of living is very high here.

And I was much luckier than many people I know. 8 out of the 10 houses surrounding me are uninhabitable, and are slowly getting bulldozed. We only lost one floor.

"Hurricane Brain" symptoms are finally fading away, but still present.

With the lack of housing, rental prices have doubled, if not tripled in some cases. We recently found out our landlord is cashing out and moving away after living his whole life here. So we're moving to another rental, paying much more money for a much smaller place. Wish we could buy, but the only loans we can get are based on our bank statements and have a high interest rate, even with my 850 credit score.

So I'm selling most of my guitar collection of 35 years to fit into a small house. Sold ~35 guitars this month, and have another 20 to sell.

I've seen the Keys change over the years, but never like Irma's aftermath.

12. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I remember all the immediate attention being on San Francisco and the East Bay, but going to Los Gatos and Santa Cruz some time later and they looked like war zones. Parts of downtown Santa Cruz kind of resembled Beirut for a while, to my recollection.

13. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Those were something...

The Feb. '71 Sylmar quake woke me up in Long Beach, just in time to head to work in L.A. [odd door-to-door job].
    It seemed every single home had a pile of collapsed chimney bricks in the driveway [or on the cars].

We also felt the '64 Alaska temblor all the way in Washington.
    My Dad's Navy squadron was up in Alaska.
    He remembered planes bounced and/or were swept down the ramp by the water.

[​IMG]

Sidney Vicious and A-Bone like this.
  14. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Yes, same tornado situation as @A-Bone
    To illustrate just how strong they were, there was something very similar to this on a nearby playground where my family and I took shelter:[​IMG]
    The wind uncoiled all of the tubular welded steel into an almost straight line. As a child, I almost could not believe it and now I probably would not believe it had I not seen it just before and after.

Thumpalumpacus and A-Bone like this.
  15. Craig Walker

Craig Walker An expensive cup V Gold Supporting Member

To clarify: This was my bro-in-law's neighborhood. Our house (and possessions) were fine.

16. 100JH

100JH Member

I ran out of Mogadishu...does that qualify?

[​IMG]

17. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

Ice Storm of 1991 in Rochester NY. city was frozen over and travel was impossible in many areas. power was out in most areas for upwards of 2 weeks. i was really lucky as the power in the apt bldg i lived in was underground so we didn't lose power for more than a day. walked to work that day and the only people there were myself and my supervisor who lived a few blocks away as well. loads of fun and plenty of chaos

18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I've been on the fringes of a couple. Was woken by Northridge, living on the Ventura County coast 45 miles from the epicenter. We lost power for a day, and a couple of glass articles fell and broke, but it was easy money compared to the stories I'm reading here.

I've also been within two miles of a couple of tornadoes, but again, nothing hurtful. I did see it raining corn-cobs and frogs from one in Tennessee, though. That was interesting.

I lived through the Iranian Revolution in 1978, but that's obviously a different kettle of fish.

Eric Rowland, jdel77, Okra and 2 others like this.
  19. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

Several hurricanes, at least one of which resulted in loss of life. Several of them resulted in widespread property damage. Not fun.

20. KevWind

KevWind Member

Well lets see several
    Way Way back the 1962 Columbus Day Storm ( Think hurricane) hit Oregon. I was 12 and it was after I got home from school the wind first picked up, I was having terrific fun on my bicycle having to bend over and pedal downhill to the end of our street and then be swept uphill. sitting up right . Until my dad came and made me come home. About an hour later our carport flipped up and over into our neighbors Front yard.

Then I was X-country skiing on Mt.St. Helens 2 weeks prior to the first earthquake in March . Was on Mt Hood when it blew in May 18, 1980

Then in June 2012 in Colorado about 4 in afternoon we watched the smoke plume from the High Park Fire develope about 12 miles NW of our house. It was traversing to the N and E of us until about 12 midnight when the wind turned more than 90 degrees to the south and blew the fire straight towards us .
    We had already packed up small valuables, important papers and my 4 guitars into our Pic Up and started evacuating our 5 vehicles. As I rode my harley out at around 3:00 A.M. the fire was coming down the hill behind our neighbors house. We were evacuated for 10 days
    The fire burned over 87,000 acres and destroyed 259 homes came within about 25 ft but did not burn the house.

Finally last Sept the Roosevelt Fire In Wyoming. Again we watched as the smoke plume developed and headed directly our way. But we were lucky again because they made the highway in front of our property the line in sand and stopped it on the other side of the highway. We were evacuated for 8 days

A-Bone likes this.