Have you personally known a terrible singer that got good over time?

Riffi

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
You’re probably not as bad as you think. Have you tried recording yourself? Is it the tone of your voice you don’t like? Your range or lack therefore of? Your voice type? Are you pitchy? Seriously most people hate their own voices, I hate my talking voice, originally I didn’t like my singing voice either but it’s grown on me.

Riffi

Silver Supporting Member
Also remember when you were learning to play and it took time to get the chord changes down? It’s like that start slow and practice and eventually you’ll Get better.

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Platinum Supporting Member
Working out proper technique can work wonders. It did for me. I went from “character voice” songs like Love Shack to Wicked Game and Moondance.

It has taken a coupla years, once I focused. I got it by performing, i.e., committing to singing at open mics every week and really paying attention to what was going on as I sang.

Last edited:

Yr Blues

You’re probably not as bad as you think. Have you tried recording yourself? Is it the tone of your voice you don’t like? Your range or lack therefore of? Your voice type? Are you pitchy? Seriously most people hate their own voices, I hate my talking voice, originally I didn’t like my singing voice either but it’s grown on me.
Actually, I kind of like my voice, but I think everyone hates it. :cry: So I must be delusional or something.

Riffi

Silver Supporting Member
Actually, I kind of like my voice, but I think everyone hates it. :cry: So I must be delusional or something.
Then I’d say, embrace it, singings about having fun, and feeling good. The only way to get better is to keep it up. And ya know what if someone doesn’t like it, then let’s hear them sing. I’d say keep on singing and enjoy it. Best of luck.

VaThump

Pretty much every great singer started as a very young child who wasn't yet a very good singer.

What most holds back people who think of themselves as unable to sing is an under-developed ear for intervals/relative pitch. Most people aren't going to become great singers. But, if they put in the time to develop their ears, most people can become at least passable-to-good singers.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
Taylor Swift wasn't a very good young singer from what I remember. And although I don't know her personally, I'd take her call. ;)

Z*Z*Z

Yes, myself :) When I started singing in bands I always tried to do things that my voice could not handle, and in time, I trained my voice and get comfortable with my range, learn ti play in keys more suited to my voice and style, and develop more endurance and power, not much range but confidence and dexterity.

Wyatt Martin

I don't know that they're voice improved but they were able to deliver those less than stellar vocals with confidence, energy and attitude that gave a perception their voice was better than it actually was.

jogogonne

I wouldn't say I'm good but I used to be terrible.

Like so bad you'd think I was tone deaf.

In more recent times, I've gone to karaoke bars, and had people complement my singing.

How? I used to go to sing in karaoke rooms for hours on end for over a decade... mostly drunk, but still. I 'practiced' singing for hours and hours, and it makes a huge difference.

When do other people get to practice singing? At home with their wife/husband there after work? Good luck with them not putting a fork in your eye...

Turi

I've got some stupid gatekeeper-type mentality about this that I just can't shake because I think I'm right.

I don't think a terrible singer can ever sound good.
I think they can improve, but they can never actually sound good, to the point where you would go out of your way to see them sing live, or buy an album or whatever.

This is because sounding "good" to me, doesn't come from singing technique, it comes from connecting to the music. Without this connection, it's never going to click for me - it'll just sound like someone trying to sing the way their teacher taught them, or sounding like some Broadway style singing trying overly hard to make sure their diction is clear.. it's just not good to listen to.

That connection can't be taught, as far as I'm aware.

I've heard bad and terrible singers improve over time.
I've never heard them get good enough to where I would go out of my way to listen to them.

There's a bit of a line that has to be drawn though - not many kids come out the gates sounding good - some people start singing from a very young age, and they suck, but they get great as they've been singing for years.
I think these types of people are different from most - singing from a young age and sticking with it basically means it's a huge part of who that person actually is. They clearly have a connection to the music or they wouldn't have been interested too - so that connection is there, even though they probably sounded crap early on.

My perspectives on this are internally consistent, but contextual, but to answer the question directly it's a resounding "no".

VaThump

To begin with, years of listening to small children singing. If you'd like to give me generous grant funding, I'll be happy to record and pitch-map as many four-year-olds as you'd like serenading a friend w/ "Happy Birthday," and then submit my findings for peer-review.

Human primates start out pitchy. The cultural logic and performance of melodic intervals are learned—and therefore learnable.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom