• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Have you played with any "famous" musicians?

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
No, but I once literally bumped into Frank Zappa walking in opposite directions on the sidewalk in Greenwich Village. It was only a glancing bump, but he seemed to be in a hurry and didn't even turn around. :dunno

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
Opened for just about everyone in the metal world.
Steve harris jammed some maiden tunes with my band at the time.
Pat Benetar and Niel Giraldo jammed a few with us.
Okay - this is completely unacceptable!!!!!!

First: It’s Benatar.
Second: it’s Neil.
Third: oh, please sir - a Story, please? Didja call him “Spyder”? Didja?!

Caretaker

Platinum Supporting Member
Okay - this is completely unacceptable!!!!!!

Story, please? Didja call him “Spyder”?
No

My cover band had a chick singer that loved Pat(literally).
She had a demo of Hell is for Children and we had been playing it for a few weeks.
The 2 of them were at the bar and I sent a note saying we had been playing it and were planning on it later that night and would they mind.
he sent a note back saying only if they could do it with us.

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
No

My cover band had a chick singer that loved Pat(literally).
She had a demo of Hell is for Children and we had been playing it for a few weeks.
The 2 of them were at the bar and I sent a note saying we had been playing it and were planning on it later that night and would they mind.
he sent a note back saying only if they could do it with us.
That sounds cool. What was it like playing with him? He seems to have an insistent groove. Did you have to follow his lead?

And again - thanks for the story!

Kevy_Metal

The one that sticks out for me is Ralph Santolla (Deicide, Sebastian Bach, Obituary, Iced Earth, Millenium, Eye Witness, Death).

We grew up and learned to play guitar together. He was a friend, a madman, and a truly gifted player.

RIP Ralph.

I also grew up with Jon Oliva and Criss Oliva... in the Savatage days. They were a bit older than Ralph and I but we jammed with them and interacted with them regularly.

Ronnie Galletti, Dave, Ben, and Curtis with Nasty Savage.

Pretty much anyone from the late 70s to 80s metal scene in Brandon/Tampa I know.
Wow. Seriously.

Savatage were huge for me growing up, probably played along to the Gutter Ballet album more times than I can remember and Ralph Santolla’s work with Death and Obituary always impresses me. Picked up a few good tips from listening to him.

CaptNasty

Wow. Seriously.

Savatage were huge for me growing up, probably played along to the Gutter Ballet album more times than I can remember and Ralph Santolla’s work with Death and Obituary always impresses me. Picked up a few good tips from listening to him.
Yeah Ralph was something else. He could pick up things so quickly. He played very clean and was very technical, but what was mind boggling was how quickly he could be so clean and precise on something he had never played before. He was a natural talent and I believe his playing was purely intuitive.

It was cool because as he would figure things out he would teach me. He accelerated my learning quite a bit. Guitar was always more work for me than it was for Ralph.

We went to King High School and after school we would jump in his car (it was a rust colored... or rusty Datsun Z) and drive to Zephyrhills where his dad let him setup a Marshall half stack in an empty bar he owned. We would go in there and crank that damn amp and practice at full stage volume. My hearing never recovered.

Ralph was highly regarded locally, so that is how we got to know Jon and Criss. I did not touch a guitar for 15 years after Criss’ tragedy in 1993. Ultimately my sons got me back into playing.

Ronnie G and I actually lived in the same neighborhood for a while and that is where I got to know him.

Last edited:

Chicago Matt

In an all original band many years ago I opened for a few including Peter Frampton, Cindi Lauper, Gary U.S. Bonds, Chuck Berry. The lead guitarist for 38 Special used to come sit in with us. I was a Herman's Hermit for a day when Peter Noone came through town. A few years ago I jammed with a cat named Rusty who plays lead for Confederate Railroad - a great player and very nice guy.

Jeff shy

I bet some of us have done so, at some point... I was a friend of, and played a bit with, one of the members of Metal Church (I'm not a metal fan but he's damn good!) back in 5th-8th grade. And I got to play a handful of times with one of the members of Pearl Jam, back in the day, at a local popular jam night at a hoppin' watering hole. (He, I'm sure, has no idea who I am but the Metal Church guy should remember me, I'd hope!)
I also am old good friends with a guy who was pretty big name in country music some years ago and had plenty of radio play. I got to open for him a few years back at a fun summer event in our hometown.
"So close -- so close, and yet so faa-aaar...." :jo
OK, whaddya got?

Joey Arkenstat

Gold Supporting Member
I have been really fortunate. I have worked with lots of great musicians including: Sheryl Crowe, Vince Gill, Dierks Bentley, John Michael Montgomery, the Neville Brothers, Delbert McClinton, Johnny Neel, Big Sam, Trombone Shorty, JJ Grey, Los Lonely Boys, Gary Clark Jr, Johnny Lee, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Kenny Loggins, and a countless number of other successful but maybe not famous musicians.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Are you featured in all those videos? Which one are you?
No, but in those videos are musicians I've played or jammed with. I had a rehearsal with Ike Willis for a project that was supposed to happen this year. Probably not gonna happen. Ike's fun to hang with though! I jammed once with Conrad, the bass player from Los Lobos and have sat in with his son's band many times. I was in a band that opened for Lee Oskar years ago and we coaxed him up to noodle through "Low Rider" with us. The drummer from Oxo played in my band as a sub for about a year, NEVER mentioned that he had been in one of my favorite 80s "one-hit-wonder" bands until the band had mostly broken up.
There are other names more well known in roots and blues circles I've played with but wouldn't be known outside of that audience. Though he passed away a few years back, drummer, Jerome Teasley, used to come out to the jams and was always fun to jam with.

Trending Topics