1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Have You removed Your String Tree?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by david henman, Jul 20, 2006.

1. david henman

david henman Member

...since my g&l legacy came with sperzel locking tuners, which are graduated, my tech removed the string tree, claiming that it is uneccessary and inhibits tuning stability.

personally, i hate string trees, and jump at the chance to get rid of them.
    anyone else ditch their string trees?

-dh

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

On a trem guitar I'll remove them if I can, but without graduated tuners you lose the break angle over the nut, which changes the sound.

I wouldn't say they were unnecessary, they are needed on a Fender style headstock with regular tuners, but they can cause tuning problems with a trem.

I have one string tree on my Tele for the top two strings, and for the D and G string I have to wind the string to the bottom of the post to get a good enough break angle.

3. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

I took mine off when I stuck Sperzels on - no tuning problems since, but I have now got 2 unsightly holes in the headstock. What's the best way of filling them in?

4. TS808

TS808 Member

Carvin is one manufacturer that uses locking tuners and does not use string trees, so I guess it works out pretty well. I have string trees on both my strats as well as the newer tuners that gradually lower for a better angle. Never had any problems with them going out of tune. I tend to put a little bit of graphite in the nut slots which helps alot too.

5. LaXu

LaXu Member

Even with Sperzels my Yamaha Pacifica 812WX has one string tree. I feel it's necessary for the high E and B strings.

6. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Carvin uses an angled headstock which doesn't require string trees.
    I take the G/D string tree off of my Strats. It's usually not needed.

I fill the holes with a cabinet scratch filler stick. It's like a big crayon made to fill imperfections ans small holes.

7. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

You also have very unsightly sprezels on your headstock. I wouldn't worry about the holes much. ;)

8. AndrewC

Pretty much identical to the original Fender ones from the front. I do need to sort the holes out though.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

I always remove the string trees on strats regardless of the tuners. It works fine without them and there's plenty of breakover angle. But I also put a LOT of wraps on the treble strings.

10. c_mac

c_mac Member

I generally switch standard string trees to roller string trees. I combined these with a roller bridge and locking tuners. As long as the nut isn't junk this has combined for awesome stability.

11. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I had mine removed and the holes filled on my Strat when I installed a set of Sperzel locking tuners. It plays and sounds fantastic. Stays in tune extremely well.

12. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

Oh yeah, identical to the very non classic looking tuners that guitar had in the first place. Sorry I didn't realize it was one of those "strats"

13. Heinz57

Heinz57 Supporting Member

Sperzels look right at home on an electric to me. Spezels make string changes so much easier, and quicker. Plus they help tremolo equipped guitars stay in tune.

Right now I'm thinking how much faster I could change the strings on my acoustic if it were equipped with sperzels. I don't really think I could do it but If I had a beater acoustic I'd be really tempted. Has anybody gone completely nuts with sperzels and put them on an acoustic?

Hawkeye can you post a pic of your headstock without the string tree holes? I'd like to see just how invisible they can be made to look.

14. Robertito

Robertito Member

I took the string trees off some years ago, when I first had locking tuners on a Strat, but found that I really needed them in the studio, so now I have one on the headstock but don't put the strings through it live - only during recording.

15. oxtone

oxtone Member

I took off the middle string tree years ago, when I got Sperzels, and an Earvana Nut installed on my Walnut "The Strat". The remaining tree is a Graph Tech. No problems using the Wilkinson "Vintage" Trem I had installed. I also use some Big Bends Nut Sauce sometimes, which works great.

16. AndrewC

If the sight of non-vintage tuners is making you hostile and aggressive, perhaps it's time to phone the clinic again..? :crazyguy

17. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I just pulled off the one I put on for the D and G string. I think it has been the root of my tuning issues when using the trem arm.
    [​IMG]

18. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

My CS Strat Pro came without any string tree. It does have Sperzels, a roller nut, and that Strats tuning is stable as a rock. It sounds fantastic too!
    Best Regards!

19. scottlr

scottlr Member

All of my Strats and Teles have the vintage style trees, and I leave them on, without any problem. After watching the Greg Koch DVD, I did take the string out of the tree to try out some of his behind the nut skullduggery, but I put it back shortly after.

20. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

So, am I assuming that unless a strat is a vintage-style it's not a "real" strat?

How's that Model A running? ;)