haven't bought a pedal in one year

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TanquerayCowboy, Mar 21, 2008.

1. TanquerayCowboy

TanquerayCowboy Senior Member

I vowed not to buy a pedal for one year after a flurry of buying and selling and trading and coveting. I received a new Fluttertone last March and called it quits. When the urge strikes, I give it a few days, fiddle the knobs on my EQ, and find myself happy with what I have, which is a board with four very good pedals and a tuner to remind me what's most important and a domestic partner who doesn't suspect I have an unhealthy obsession with shiny little boxes, which should make going Les Paul shopping more enjoyable this summer.

2. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

+1 man. I can totally respect that.

3. madscientist

madscientist Member

good for you....that's some strong willpower

4. dmczern

dmczern Member

I have much respect for you sir :)

Cheers :BEER

5. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

you mean now that the year is over there is not even one pedal you've been jonesin' for? :eek:

6. TanquerayCowboy

TanquerayCowboy Senior Member

Oh, no. I have a very long list.

7. justonwo

justonwo Member

I need to do the same. I have more pedals than I know what to do with. I like variety but I hate indecision . . .

8. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

That is impressive. Have you not been hanging around here much? :D

9. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I went for over ten years without buying a new pedal. Then I started playing my guitar again and bought a Tube Screamer.

Next, I found The Gear Page and have bought nine new pedals in the last four months. Yikes! I think I'm done for now... In fact, I'm probably going to take a pass on the Zendrive that I'm up for.

10. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

11. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I have a hard time going two weeks without one.

12. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

As my wife says its a fixation and there are worse things though it sucks up an INCREDIBLE amount of time ("NO...I am NOT addicted!!") and then it goes something like this....
    1) Answer FS post...wait for reply
    2) Try to lowball seller...wait for reply
    3) Decide to buy $800 fuzz box to add the the 39 I already have but not THE ONE!
    4) Log on to paypal, send CC funds that I can't REALLY afford...feel guilty (3.4 seconds)
    5) PM seller and let him know money was sent
    6) PM seller next day and ask if it was sent, how, ask for tracking number and urine sample etc.
    7) Wake up every night and think about pedal
    8) Call wife from work every day and ask.."Did I get a package???"
    9) Call wife who says "There's a box here, what is it, another f-cking pedal?"
    10) Tell boss I don't feel well and drive home hoping I don't get a speeding ticket.
    11) Come home, ignore wife and kids, grab box, make bee line to home studio, basement, office music room.
    12) Unpack, spill static filled foam peanuts everywhere.
    13) Plug in pedal, turn up amp....hit power chord...and.....PUKE!
    14) Get angry, kick dog, yell at wife, yell at kids, feel guilty and hope I can get my money back by selling but am calcualting shipping, ebay, paypal fees as give kids a bath.
    15) Get back on computer, log into TGP, write post saying this is the MOST INCREDIBLE pedal I've ever heard but "need to thin the heard" blady, blady, blady.
    16) Log on to computer and TGP evey 15 minutes looking for a DARK NUMBER in the upper right corner next to "Private Messages".
    17) Edit FS post, drop price $5.....wait....
    18) Bump.....wait.......
    19) Bump again......wait.....
    20) Bump with another price drop...the LAST one....(now loosing money)
    21) Get PM from some "fellow TGP slut" asking 16 questions all of which are answered in the post.
    22) Answer PM, answer 16 questions and then some...takes 45 min to compose reply.
    23) Wait....no reply....PM same guy asking him if he is interested as there are others READY TO BUY!....wait some more....
    24) Bump with yet another price drop "Last one before ebay"...(now loosing a LOT of $$$)......wait some more....
    25) Bump with yet another price drop as I've seen yet ANOTHER pedal I am jonsing for....
    26) Answer 5 more PM's all of which have the SAME questions and "NO, NOT LOOKING FOR TRADES....THANKS!
    27) First guy gets back in touch and offers really low ball offer...I say "fine"....send paypal address.....wait....
    28) Update ad with "SOLD pending funds"....send first PM asking 7 questions about the NEW pedal....wait....
    29) Send email AND PM asking buyer...."Did you send funds???"
    30) Wait.........FINALLY get email from PayPal....look at PayPal fees....puke some more.
    31) Look to find box that has NOT been used 9 times, is still stiff and does not look like a Leper after having ripped packing tape off it...
    32) Pack pedal...start putting on tape....see cardboard as I run out of tape.
    33) Get dressed, go to all night grocery store to get more tape...finish packing box, wife and kids are long a sleep.
    34) Log on to PayPal the 5th time as I cannot find the 4 other pieces of paper where I previously wrote the buyers address...
    35) Wake up, go to (choose one) Fed Ex, UPS, USPS on way to work to ship pedal...get to work late.
    36) Get to work....check TGP...see add for that OTHER pedal again...send PM with lowball offer.....wait....
    37) Hear back from seller with "Thanks but no thanks!"....
    38) Send another PM telling seller "I want it"...feel a little guilty.....
    39) Get sellers PayPal address....log into PayPal...send MORE money that I don't have...feel REALLY guilty and say "LAST TIME".
    40) Go back to "1", wash, rinse and repeat....

13. Curly

Curly Member

... wrong forum :D

congrats though

14. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

damn good. i might even say outstanding. . .

15. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I pretty much go through that same process except I don't hype a pedal I'm trying to sell just to get it sold. If I really do like it but it won't work for me I'll say so. If I flat out didn't like it I won't address how I felt about it.

To the OP - Congrats. I have kicked every addiction I've ever had except for pedals. There's nothing like it in the world.

16. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

:rotflmao