Haven't Really Touched My Strat...

megatonic

Gold Supporting Member
I've changed - My Strat used to be my main and pretty much only gigging guitar. I loved the clarity & the Baggs X-Bridge trem was excellent. I thought that humbuckers were way too dark.
Then something happened. Now I rarely touch the Strat, and I'll play a Les Paul or 335 style or Tele.
AND, when I go back and take out the Strat, it just seems a little shrill.

I guess my tastes have changed.

I DO prefer the qualities of humbucker distortion, now. And since I found the Duncan APII Pro Slash buckers, I can get close to that previous clarity & chime.

Anyone have a similar shift in what you prefer between the two?

Riffi

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
Yes I used to play a Les Paul exclusively. Now my number one is a Jazzmaster. I pretty much only play fenders/Squiers these days. I started on a strat copy (not even a squier :eek:, it was a Washburn clone of a strat.) so in a way I’ve come kinda full circle. I mean of course the Jazzmaster is way different than a strat but it’s still singles.

HesNot

Silver Supporting Member
I've gone the other direction. I've mostly been a hum bucker and tele guy over the years. I always thought Strats sounded sort of thin and brittle.

Borrowed a buddies for awhile and really enjoyed it - so I snooped around and found a used Highway 1 and I'm really really enjoying it. I do have to tinker with my rig a bit obviously but particularly as a rhythm guitar it just works in our band. And it's comfortable to play!

Ryno1331

Silver Supporting Member
I go back and forth but have settled on LP's (or PRS or a 335) as my go to. I love the sound of a strat on recordings, but when I play my bread and butter is a LP through a Marshall-type amp.

seward

Silver Supporting Member
I started playing in my teens, with a Squier Strat, and I played similar guitars through solid-state amplifiers for over a decade. Then I stopped playing.

A decade later, I started playing again, with humbuckers and Les Pauls, and the distorted tones that I'd struggled to get out of cheap Strats, cheap amps and DS-1s was right there. So that was that.

Cleans took a little longer, but now I'm okay. Humbucker neck pickups took some getting used to, but we get along now.

Hntastic

On paper, I should be a strat guy. Many players I like and respect use strats and I love the tone of them both live and on records - when other people play them. I just don’t get on with a strat. In fact neither of my guitars are typical or conventional or what people expect me to play. I still love other peoples strat sound, but not mine. It’s not the sound I hear in my head.

wraub

I have always preferred Strats, but lately have mostly been playing a decent LP style guitar. I think it's the scale length + the humbuckers that work so well for me.

Maybe I need an LP scale Strat with humbuckers. :D

RRfireblade

That's the funny thing I see often. Some people have many guitars but they only like one sound OR they want them all to sound the same.

Nothing wrong with that, pretty common I think. Actually great if one prefers a smaller gear hoard.

I have a pretty good variety of guitars because I want that range of sound/tone. If I'm doing alot of session work (comes and goes) it's an imperative. Kind of like a rack of spices.

MagRick

I've changed - My Strat used to be my main and pretty much only gigging guitar. I loved the clarity & the Baggs X-Bridge trem was excellent. I thought that humbuckers were way too dark.
Then something happened. Now I rarely touch the Strat, and I'll play a Les Paul or 335 style or Tele.
AND, when I go back and take out the Strat, it just seems a little shrill.

I guess my tastes have changed.

I DO prefer the qualities of humbucker distortion, now. And since I found the Duncan APII Pro Slash buckers, I can get close to that previous clarity & chime.

Anyone have a similar shift in what you prefer between the two?
I am on the same boat as yours, I used to have 6 strats and no les pauls but in the past 1 year i bought 14 les pauls (crazy i know) with most of them being custom shops. And I have just 1 strat now.
LPs are addictive I think.

Dead Parrot

That's the funny thing I see often. Some people have many guitars but they only like one sound OR they want them all to sound the same.

Nothing wrong with that, pretty common I think. Actually great if one prefers a smaller gear hoard.

I have a pretty good variety of guitars because I want that range of sound/tone. If I'm doing alot of session work (comes and goes) it's an imperative. Kind of like a rack of spices.
I like that spice rack simile. Spot on.

Stig Ø

Yeah, more spice rack here. My aim is to have guitars with as little overlap as possible. Different tones and sounds are a must in my musical world.

Me Myself & I

I have a handful of different guitars because I like the variety in tones, and I rotate through them to enjoy and explore them all.

Gevalt

I did everything I could to make my strat thicker, and the day I finally got a Les Paul Studio with Super Distortion pickups, was my rebirth. Nothing like it. Been considering selling my first guitar, a Strat, for the past 2 years. The Fenders were it for 10 years, but they gather dust now.
Turns out I'm not Jimi, or Zappa....I'm so me now!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom