Having a Belle Epoch, El Capistan, and Flashback Mini, why should I consider an Echorec?

Dr. Lo

I'm interested in getting an Echorec, perhaps as a replacement for my El Capistan. Is this just GAS, or would I really gain much more in terms of possible sounds? I play in a 80s-today cover band playing popular/dancy music. No shoe gazing stuff in our set list.

FYI, I play all pedals in front of my amps (Dr. Z Remedy, Tiny Terror, or Vox AC15) set for mild breakup (clean and sparkly when played light, then crunchy when I dig in).

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
Its completely different. The ones you listed (well not the Flashback per se) are all tape Echos. The Echorec is a drum type echo. They are completely different sounding, with different preambles. Plus the Echorec has all of the different repeated drum modes.

Not even the same delays in either sound, preamps or execution. Wouldn't be redundant to have both a tape delay and an Echorec type delay.

But i wouldn't sell the El Cap to get one. If i was deciding between those 2, I would stay with the El Cap.

hamerman55

Silver Supporting Member
You can tweak the El Cap to give you the Echorec flavor. The manual lists the settings for drum Echo. There is also a link to a bunch of settings that I can find if you're interested. I tried the drum setting on my El Cap and it wasn't too far away.

rkeaton

Echorec is really its own thing. Pros: Small enclosure, incredibly touch sensitive, it can sound like a modulated verb when you play lightly and then when you dig in the repeats bloom out and tuck themselves back into the wash. Really beautiful. Cons: no tap tempo.

Mike Duncan

Staff member
Man, I adjusted one of the little trim pots inside the pedal...the wrong one to fool with on the Echorec...three and half years of unusable pedal. I really messed something up.

The El Cap, DM-2w, Carbon Copy, Space Echo are all filling the Echorec void.

I have an Echorec and the guitarist in my band has the El Cap. Use the multi head function on the El Cap. Does it go all the way? No, of course not. But it'll get you in the ballpark and sounds great.

erksin

Man, I adjusted one of the little trim pots inside the pedal...the wrong one to fool with on the Echorec...three and half years of unusable pedal. I really messed something up.

The El Cap, DM-2w, Carbon Copy, Space Echo are all filling the Echorec void.

You likely moved the modulation trimmer - super easy fix, just tune it by ear. If you'd rather us do it, shoot me an email at [email protected] and we'll get you sorted.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom