Having a Compressor pedal on all the time

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fatso Forgotso, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Fatso Forgotso

Fatso Forgotso Member

Hi, just wondering if anyone here has used a compressor pedal right at the end of their chain to duck their delays and whatnot, and if you could leave it on forever and not have an overly compressed tone. Only because you'd probably need a faster attack for it to duck the delays, and I don't suppose it would work with a slower attack, would it?

Also, any compressor suggestions for this?

Cheers,

- Faisal :beer

2. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

This is exactly what I do. I set the wet/dry on my delay at about 25%, crank the feedback. The compressor I use is an Analogman modded MXR "Comprossor". This was from before he started building his own comp pedals. I imagine it is similar to the Ross clone he builds now.

3. Fatso Forgotso

Fatso Forgotso Member

Ah right, cool. Do you keep the compressor on all the time though?

4. Fatso Forgotso

Fatso Forgotso Member

Anyone else use their compressor like this?

5. FXMonkey

FXMonkey Member

the mirage compressor is very nice

6. Fatso Forgotso

Fatso Forgotso Member

Cheers, I'll look into that.

How about the Fromel Velvet Vice?

7. Fatso Forgotso

Fatso Forgotso Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyone?

8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I think a tube amp will add the right ammount of compression if set correctly. I think having any pedal on "all the time" for clean tones is anti-good-tone.

9. Fatso Forgotso

Fatso Forgotso Member

Well first of all, I don't think a tube amp would be able to duck a delay at bedroom/band practise levels, and second of all if it's cranked, it wouldn't really be much of a clean tone, but cheers anyway.

I only really wanna know if it's possible to dial a compressor so that I could duck my delay without messing up my dry signal when my delay's off.

10. jgretsch

jgretsch Member

[​IMG]

I've been using compressor this way for years.
    Compressor is ON all the time. I like what it does
    to the delay and reverb: nice and smooth decays.

11. Fatso Forgotso

Fatso Forgotso Member

Awesome, so you can get your delay to duck nicely but not always sound like you're chicken picking? Only cause it looks like you have quite a bit of compressor dialed in there.

:beer

12. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I have two pedal boards. One uses a Nova system and the comp is on all the time. The Nova delay has ducking. Its a very good studio quality comp with no noticeable artifacts.
    My other board has a BJFe Pine Green Comp. Also on all the time. Last in the chain. Very transparent, perhaps the most transparent analog comp I've ever had. Also no artifacts. It plays well with delays, which are also on all the time in varying settings from subtle to pronounced.

13. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Sure, if that's the sound you are going for. I think compressed/delayed guitar is an interesting sound, but not one I would use all the time. I think it is more fun to play with dynamics, and get some "ducking" from the delay by playing softer or whatever. Compressor usually messes up the dynamics of my playing. IMO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.

14. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

My 2 knob Keeley is always on. I keep my sustain about 9-10 o' clock so the dynamics are still controllable. They're squashed if I crank it anymore.

15. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

You can get a compressor with a blend knob, which is what I would suggest. Mine is a Wampler Ego Compressor. I set the compression level with the blend on 100%, then back off the blend control until it sounds "natural." My thought is to prevent the odd really, really loud note or really, really soft one, rather than to smash the whole signal down to the same dynamic level. Works for me.

16. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

If ducking the delay is what you are looking for get a good delay that has a ducking feature...a compressor kills your playing dymanics. Sure they have their place and I have found times where they came in very handy but I coldn't imagine leaving one on all the time...

17. Fatso Forgotso

Fatso Forgotso Member

Cheers guys. :)

wingwalker: I was only thinking about keeping the sustain low, like Lublin does with his Keeley compressor so I could get the delays to kinda duck but still be able to control my dynamics.

18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

What does ducking the delay mean?

19. chart #3

chart #3 Member

For "always-on" use I'd rather take an optical compressor... but that's just me...

20. joemesser

joemesser Member