Having a guitar refinished...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pete12string, Apr 24, 2016.

1. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I have a number of guitars. One of them, my Fender American Special Telecaster currently has the Blonde finish. I'd love to have it refinished with front and back binding. Not sure of the color I'd like yet.

One thought was leaving the existing Blonde finish and having Tortoise binding added. Is that even possible?

Or maybe Dakota Red with White binding. Seafoam or Surf Green with White binding?
    Any idea on a ballpark figure that it would cost to have this done? I'm in Central New Jersey - any suggestions on where I could have it done?

Looked at Warmoth bodies - looks to be close to $600 for what I'd want. And then will the neck and all the hardware from the American Special fit?

2. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

Be cheaper to have a new body made.

Re-finishing isn't cheap, in part because of removing the old finish. Guys I know that do complete refinishing (most won't even go there even if they shoot finish) charge as much to remove the old finish and prep the body as they do to spray the new finish. Then, adding binding is a major hand labor exercise. The hardware will fit, get the new body if that's what you really want. Beware that every piece of wood sounds different, and you may end up with something that looks exactly like you want and sounds exactly like you don't want.

pete12string likes this.