Having a problem with my Ad-999

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by William Braddell, Apr 28, 2016.

1. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

Basically there is something wrong with the repeats. Instead of sounding like pleasant analog repeats as they did not long ago they have started to sound like harsh clipping. I've tried trying it without my pedalboard and with two different amps and the problem is still there so I'm convinced it's the pedal.

Anyone have any ideas what the issue might be here and how I might fix it?

2. Phase45child

Phase45child Member

Sounds like a chip needs replacing

3. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

UPDATE:

So my father took the delay apart a while ago and couldn't see what could be wrong. Then he put it back together and now the clipping is lesser but still there and the delay is still not how it used to be. I sent a sound sample into Godlyke who say it sounds like there is nothing wrong with it but I know that it didn't sound like this when I bought it

Is it possible that a trimpot has been knocked or something and made it sound grittier?

4. BLNKSN

BLNKSN Member

is it possible for you to post an example for us to hear?

5. feet

feet Supporting Member

@William Braddell
    since i sought it out for its cleanliness, this interests me. please update.

6. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Welcome to the world of analog delays. It's typically worth it, but the "ghost in the machine" aspect of these things can be really irritating. I have no other wisdom to offer other than, I've been in your position before, and it's ultimately only going to be resolved by getting someone with a white labcoat and a some nasa-approved electrical equipment to examine it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  7. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

If it's not getting enough power it can sound like that. Is it getting enough MA's?

It could also need calibration. They do drift over time.

deeohgee likes this.
  8. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

Sorry for the late reply. I do have a clip that I can post when I get home from work. In the meantime I'm looking at purchasing a Boss DM-2W with the tax refund that I have coming. Can anyone give their opinion on whether the Boss compares with the AD-999 in terms of musicality? I see a lot of different opinions on this.

9. misa

misa Supporting Member

Not in mine, sent the BOSS packing back to where it came from.

10. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

Sorry, didn't get around to posting the clip tonight. I'll post it tomorrow or the next. Man, I've just sold an amp for $700 NZd. Combined with the tax refund I'm getting and I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to just get another one of the Maxons online. I'm pretty sure it's getting the right power requirements by the way.

EDIT: On second thoughts, checking the AD-999s online, they are around $450 NZd. Not really up for paying that much...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  11. IRG

IRG Member

I think the new DM-2w is great, but I've never owned the Maxon to compare. There are still a lot of original DM-2's around 20+ years if that says anything about their reliability. The DM-2w just has a very nice, overall tone, with much delay time now in the Custom mode, 800ms versus 300ms of the original. Plus you can control the repeats via footswitch, although I've never tried that. Two other bonuses: great footswitch, easy on/off, and it's very affordable. Not sure how affordable in NZ, but my guess is considerably less than the Maxon.

12. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

the two aren't too similar. the AD-999 is grittier, more tape-like than the DM-2.

looking forward to hearing the sound sample to see if anythings up with it

13. Coldacre

if you want a clean delay, the AD-999 is about as far away as you can get. try an AD-900. those are faaaar cleaner.

Slevin likes this.
  14. Coldacre

the original DM-2 came out 35 years ago ;)

15. IRG

IRG Member

See, you've proven my point even more so :)

Coldacre likes this.
  16. misa

misa Supporting Member

If you can find someone willing to do international shipping, a used AD-999 often sells for the same if not less than a new DM-2W.

17. feet

feet Supporting Member

be that as it may, in my view, its pretty clean and i'm fairly pleased with it so far. mind you, the only other for reallys analog delay i've used is a memory toy, which is a noisy shitbox (in a cool way). i'm definitely not after a sparkly digital clean, and the ad999 is (perhaps obviously) better than digital analog delays i've used, as well. and yes, fairly clean. :)