Having a tough time finding an MKI tonebender clone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stella was a dive, Feb 7, 2015.

1. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

I'm really not finding much in the reasonable price range (150ish).

what do you guys think of the scarab deluxe and or the gnarly fuzz as MK1 variants? I've never been a fuzz guy but this is a sound that is appealing to me as of late, but the other tonebender tones not so much.

2. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Scarab is a Tonebender variant and the Gnarly is a Fz-1 variant. Having said that, the Scarab is pretty versatile with its bias and fat knobs but from memory it won't get splatty like a mk1. Gnarly would be a bit closer. Basic Audio Zonk might be worth you trying for a Mk1 variant.

Klinger make a decent Mk1 and they pop up in the emporium for around $150 second hand.

3. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

I have had both and I never saw them as variants to the sizzling/gated fuzz beast that is a germanium-fed MKI. I must say that they are both excellent pedals in their own right.

I love MKI's. :boxer

4. 1224 Lee

1224 Lee Member

Aren't they called fuzz faces? or is that the 1.5..

5. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

that's what I was fearing hearing.

6. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

There is a Jimmy Behan Super Electric MKI on eBay right now for around $175...and a Ghost Bender. There is also an LIC MKI on Reverb for $155. Please buy them, so that I do not.

7. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

The basic audio stuff is silicon so it won't get you there - I own 2 Mk1's - Fuzzfaceless and Klinger - both are fantastic fuzzes - also worth checking out is Jimmy Behan - I have a germ fuzzrite of his and build quality and functionality is awesome.

8. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Silicon can get you there if it's done right. The basic audio pedal that is probably closest to the Mark 1 pedals I've played is the Zonk. Of course, Mk 1s are all over the place --- some of them are spitting and sizzling and gated and some of them actually have some decent sustain --- it all depends on how it's tuned and with the builder is going for.

9. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

how about the smith mki's?

the other two you listed I can't find on reverb

10. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

The Behan (http://www.ebay.com/itm/321647076060?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) and Ghost Bender (http://www.ebay.com/itm/251815113965?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) are on eBay, the LIC is on Reverb (https://reverb.com/item/431436-lic-...onebender-2014-oc75-tone-bender-free-shipping). I had the Behan, but foolishly sold it. I will get one again someday. The LIC has been on my radar for awhile, but I am waiting to find one of his with an OC81D and a pair of OC75's for under $200. I can dream...

Oh, I have no experience with the Smitty Bender, but they are readily available for under $100 used.