Having trouble deciding between an Orange Rockerverb 50 and Bogner Shiva

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by buckwild, Sep 13, 2008.

1. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

Hey Guys

I've narrowed my new amp search down to two heads. I've had the opportunity to play an Orange Rockerverb 50 and I absolutely loved it. However, I've heard a lot of great things about the Bogner Shiva(the new version with the boost functions).

The sounds I'm looking for is a gain channel with that great JCM 800 whop and a clean with Fender Twin style shimmer.

If you guys could give input on the pros and cons of these two amps I would love some opinions. I like that the Shiva has a boost feature.

2. rockguitardude

rockguitardude Member

Better clean on the shiva, better dirt on the orange.

3. hamfist

hamfist Member

Cleans MUCH better on the Shiva.

Dirt on both are great but different. IMO, RV50 can still give the goods at much lower volumes. Shiva seems to need much more volume to get the best out of it's dirt channel.

4. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I never played the Orange, but that's why I bought my Shiva, Fender cleans and Marshall OD. I use an FDII with the Shiva, and now I get (4) distinct sounds: real clean, SRV (clean ch with pedal), crunch, 80's metal (OD ch with pedal).

I'm very happy with this amp.

Stormin!

5. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

the lower volumes thing would be great for me since I'm always being told to turn down. I just wish the RV50 had a boost feature like the SHiva. Thanks for all the opinions guys. Keep em coming

6. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

maybe a clean boost pedal (or a low gain od pedal) would do what the Shiva boost feature does. I'm in the market for a RV50 myself, but I haven't played both, so I'm not much help here.

7. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

To boost the RV50 if you use the gain channel, you will need something in the loop. An EQ pedal works great for this. The loop of the Orange RV50 is nice too.

For what you are looking for I think the clean of the RV50 will disappoint you, it sounds more Voxy than Fender Twinish. I think the gain channel on the RV50 will be right up your alley though. Never played a bogner Shiva, so I can't comment on that amp. I used to own an RV50 though....

8. billm408

billm408 Member

:agreeShiva gain channel really shines at gig levels, but can be a little fizzy at bedroom volume.

9. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Shiva Gain's not going to get you to JCM 800 levels. The cleans are amazing though. I had a hard time getting any dirt pedal to really goose the Shiva's dirt channel up to grittier levels without getting muddy. I had mine modded and now it does what I want including JCM 800 and a little beyond if I want. But I do remember playing the Rockerverb and really loving the dirt channel for more 80's Marshall level gain than the Shiva. It was the one amp I played after buying my Shiva that I realized might have done what the Shiva did.