Having trouble deciding between Mark V Head and Mark V 35 Head

rickenbeatle

I am looking at getting one of these heads and am planning on getting a closed back wide body mesa cab. My question is, do you think, with that cab, I would get enough low end to compensate for getting the 35, or should I just get the regular Mark V?

conrad79

Admittedly I haven't played the 25 or 35, but maaaaan the regular V is a hell of an amp! Regardless of the amp, any lack of low end wouldn't be the fault of that closed back cab IMO.

Chris6870

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Mark IV, picked up a V:25 and that just left me wanting a Mark V. So I found a good deal on a V on CL ($1350) so now I own all three. If I could only keep one it would be the Mark V. So many good tones on Channel 1 and 2 that are missing off the smaller models. (Tweed and Mark I modes are awesome) I like 3 different channels and all the options on the foot switch for gigging. For home I could live with the V:25.

rickenbeatle

I really wanna go all out and get the V, but money is a bit of an issue. I found a used one for $1775, but I'm having trouble using paypal credit on ebay with this 'buy it now' listing(works fine on any other listing.) So I might have to go with the 35, which is unfortunate.

BelgPJ

I really wanna go all out and get the V, but money is a bit of an issue. I found a used one for $1775, but I'm having trouble using paypal credit on ebay with this 'buy it now' listing(works fine on any other listing.) So I might have to go with the 35, which is unfortunate.
Don't rush it - I would not compromise and regret the decision later. Every time I have done so in the past, it cost me more to get to where I wanted to be

Chris6870

Silver Supporting Member
You should be able to find one cheaper than that. See my post above. A lot of people are dumping the V to get the new JP2C.

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
Rather than doing the BiN maybe you could send them a offer and try negotiating?

Hefalump

Wait, find another one.

Waxhead

I am looking at getting one of these heads and am planning on getting a closed back wide body mesa cab. My question is, do you think, with that cab, I would get enough low end to compensate for getting the 35, or should I just get the regular Mark V?
are you thinking a 1x12 cab or 2x12?
do you really need 100w?
and have you tested out both amps?

rickenbeatle

Here's my situation. I am moving to a bigger city in a few months and am wanting to cut down the size of my rig. I currently have an Orange Rockerverb 50 half stack. I have a friend who is buying it from me for $2700. I only want to spend $2000 of it on a new rig. Part of the reason I want something smaller also is that I don't know if I will play in a band in the new city. But at the same time, I want to have something I could gig with if I did end up playing in a band.

I don't have a Mesa dealer near me, so I haven't been able to try out either amp. I have watched YouTube videos. The Mark 25 was the first one I saw. I read up on it and people said it lacked headroom and low end, so I started considering the 35. But then I checked out the regular V, and I know it has good low end and headroom. Maintaining the low end is my main concern.

I know I could gig with the 35, because I used to gig with an AC30. Just gotta have that low end.

As far as the cab, I would prefer a 2x12, but I can only afford a 1x12 right now. Eventually I would get a 2x12, unless I don't end up needing another speaker.

Last edited:

rickenbeatle

I have a Mark IV, picked up a V:25 and that just left me wanting a Mark V. So I found a good deal on a V on CL ($1350) so now I own all three. If I could only keep one it would be the Mark V. So many good tones on Channel 1 and 2 that are missing off the smaller models. (Tweed and Mark I modes are awesome) I like 3 different channels and all the options on the foot switch for gigging. For home I could live with the V:25.
I don't know how you found one that cheap. Cheapest I have seen is around 1700. Luck, I guess.

Waxhead

Here's my situation. I am moving to a bigger city in a few months and am wanting to cut down the size of my rig. I currently have an Orange Rockerverb 50 half stack. I have a friend who is buying it from me for $2700. I only want to spend $2000 of it on a new rig. Part of the reason I want something smaller also is that I don't know if I will play in a band in the new city. But at the same time, I want to have something I could gig with if I did end up playing in a band.

I don't have a Mesa dealer near me, so I haven't been able to try out either amp. I have watched YouTube videos. The Mark 25 was the first one I saw. I read up on it and people said it lacked headroom and low end, so I started considering the 35. But then I checked out the regular V, and I know it has good low end and headroom. Maintaining the low end is my main concern.

I know I could gig with the 35, because I used to gig with an AC30. Just gotta have that low end.

As far as the cab, I would prefer a 2x12, but I can only afford a 1x12 right now. Eventually I would get a 2x12, unless I don't end up needing another speaker.

If you wanna downsize why are you considering a Mark V?
Fantastic amp but it's big & heavy.

Mark V 35 has enuf headroom, is cheaper, smaller & sounds great.
Maybe not quite as great as a Mark V on 100w but do you need 100w?

Pelagic

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe wait until you arrive in the big city. Less to move and likely a more liquid amp market.

halcyon

Silver Supporting Member
I would only get the 35 if you potentially need to carry it around a whole lot. Otherwise, the full-size Mark V is the superior amp -- better versatility and tone, imo. I've played both and own the latter.

Definitely don't buy the 35 for the Cab Clone feature... <blech>

BMX

I would say the fairer comparison is the Mark 5 90 vs the Mark 5 35 and something else. So, for example, would you rather have a Mark V 90 or a Mark 5 35 and a 2x12 vertical recto cab (or whatever the price difference is).

Nobody is ever going to recommend the 35 in a straight up comparison, but if you add something specific to that side of the equation it's a more interesting and useful comparison.

rickenbeatle

As far as the size, it is mainly my 4x12 that is the issue. It's just a pain in the ass to lug around. I know I could just sell it and get a 2x12, but I also am not a fan of my Rockerverb's clean channel and I just feel like the Mark V is a much more versatile amp and sounds better. I found a used Mark V with a 2 x 12 Rectifier vertical slant cab for $1950, bought new in 2012. Seems like a good deal. Don't know anything about that cab though.

Trending Topics