having trouble desoldering components on an old point to point magnatone, any pointer

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by damian1, Feb 14, 2015.

1. damian1

damian1 Member

Hey all. Replacing almost all of the pots on an old magnatone, the shafts were snapped off. Most have gone well but the next few are dual pots with multiple ceramic discs and wires in a single lug. I have a braid and a solder sucker. I'm having problems melting this solder before the components are getting really hot. I'm scared I'm going to fry them.

I don't know if the solder is a different mix or what. It doesn't help that the legs are all crimped together like a motherhumper. Good for longevity but a real pita for repairs. I just haven't had this much trouble getting the solder to wick and I don't want to fry the caps. I'm trying to keep everything in tact. I've got a 40 watt weller and a 60 watt with a bigger tip. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. 5992

5992 Member

Try using a set of locking hemostats as a heat sink to avoid frying your components.

[​IMG]

3. damian1

damian1 Member

Good idea. Where can I grab a pair? I was also thinking about a third hand. I'd rather not have to order one. Would be nice to just go buy one

4. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

You need some flux. I use Nokorode. or just try dabbing some new solder on your iron tip immediately before trying to unsolder.

5. 5992

5992 Member

I think I got mine at an Army/Navy surplus store a few years ago. You also might try a medical supply house.

6. damian1

damian1 Member

Ok I'll take a look. Ill pick up somr flux as well, thanks guys

7. Diablo1

Diablo1 Member

Radio Shack sells little heat sink clamps for protecting components.
    They also have some soldering tools to help remove leads once you melt the solder.
    Clean your soldering iron tip frequently with a damp sponge to help heat transfer.

8. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

sometimes cutting out the old components you're gonna throw away first can make it easier, probably doesn't help you though.

9. damian1

damian1 Member

Thanks diablo I'm going to go to rat shack and take a look. I keep the tip cleaned. I did cut off some of the solder tabs of the old pots with my nippers for easier access shiny beast. Thanks for the tips guys.

10. wyatt

wyatt Member

You'll find them in the fishing aisle of any sporting goods store, Walmart, etc. Or Amazon.

But when I read the title my mind zeroed in on..."add flux."

11. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Agree and add: old amps often used "military" construction, which includes tightly twisted parts legs before soldering (plus tie wrapped wiring, etc.) .

Military stuff goes for 110% reliability, and field repair is hardly an option, they just replace the malfunctioning radio/radar module/whatever with a new one.

Good, but on "civilian" stuff it sure complicates things.

Personally I find even solder sucking, wick desoldering, still does not free enough the bad parts , so I rather cut parts legs, add fresh solder so with the added bulk it stays hot/liquid some extra seconds, and try to unroll the twisted legs with long nose pliers.

Only after I pull the twisted wires I clean the terminal.

12. zenas

zenas Member

You can also find hemostats at one of those "tool outlet" type stores where they sell all the cheap crapy Chinese tools. (these days they sell the same crap about everywhere)

I've found a small screw driver with a sharp end works on things where they wrap the leads around so tight you wonder why they even solder the darn thing.
    I get enough solder off to find an end then get under it and work it off.

Grab a few cheap little screw drivers while your at the crappy tool store. No point in wreaking a good screw driver by sharpening the end.

13. damian1

damian1 Member

Good stuff guys. I got some flux and heat sink clips. If I can get some time away from the kids and mama I'm going back in! Ill report back. I want to get this bad boy running again

14. hotmod

hotmod Member

You can use fresh solder on the old one , it will melt right away and you will be able to suck the whole thing, don't be afraid to use as much needed.

15. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

This is my preferred method when working on stubborn solder joints on vintage pedals. Works great!