Having trouble getting this Clapton riff down

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by the_steve, Dec 22, 2009.

1. the_steve

the_steve Member

Ok, so no laughing at this request, I know that most metal heads can play this stuff without even thinking. I have been fiddling with this little riff since the first time I heard Clapton's version of Five Long Years. I can play just about ever blues lick I have ever heard... except for this weird turnaround riff that Clapton uses all the time. As I am currently polishing up on my mechanics, I thought this would be a great time to finally slay the beast.

I looked around and found this version of the riff with a very clear and long repetition at 0:15. Can anyone enlighten me as to the right hand picking that he is doing.... I am trying to play it as written below (1st and 2nd strings shown in my example. Hes playing up one position in the video but plays it everywhere on the neck ):

>
    -------8-10-8h10p8
    ----10-------------- Repeat over and over

----D-D-U-U--------

I figure someone other than Clapton can play this and help me out.

Thanks guys, Merry Christmas and Happy Hollidays

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. bloo

bloo Member

You've got it all right there it looks as far as picking goes... he just gets that going so fast it's amazing... I tend to play that lick in the "BB King" box that's where it's easiest for me at least on the G and B strings

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Clapton at the top of his game there. Sounds great! :beer

4. highway-one

highway-one Member

5. the_steve

the_steve Member

So you guys think the down, down, up, up picking pattern is correct? I feel that pattern is the best way to get the heavy accent at the start of the hammer on, but on the other hand alternate picking seems to be the best way to build the speed.

This lick drives me up a wall. I can smoke the whole damn song, but it just feels wrong to play the rest of the solo in a Clapton-esque style without being able to hit this riff as an homage.

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I can play that lick very easily using this (P stands for pull. I do not hammer anything)

---8-10-8 10 8
    10------------- 10 Repeat over and over
    u- d- u- p-d- p- u

7. the_steve

the_steve Member

Light just went on. Thanks a lot for the help.

PS- I randomly listened to a couple tracks on your SoundClick page - awesome playing and crazy tone. #132 was great - very cool progression; you sound like Al DiMeola meets the blues (in an awesome way).