Having trouble i.d.ing OLD Jensen.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bruceman, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

It's in a late 30's early 40's Supro Amp-in-Case model 60. Ink stamped on the back it has: E8RS
    C1050

eight incher
    Don't know if it's orig but it does have the coil on the speaker like an original..

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Most amp in cases were 1950s. Maybe a late 40s one. Shouldn't be too hard to date the amp (check the EIA code on the pot).

There are old round magnet P8RS's speakers. is it possible that is what it is? There should also be a Jensen code 220XXX somewhere on the frame. Or if it is 40s, it could have an actual Jensen stencil.

Is it possible it is not a Jensen, and that is a code from a different brand?

Pictures would help a lot.

3. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

It's a round magnet Jensen with the metallic decal on it intact. There's nothing on the frame. I'll get a pic. I was going by a couple of sites that had these advetised and they're just exact except the speaker. Although, mine does have the coil on the speaker like the orig speakers showed. I'll pull it apart and look at the "pot" -
    Just one!
    Well, one one on the amp but I'll check the guitar too.

thank you.

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Is it a field coil speaker, or the output transformer on the speaker? Output transformer will have 2 wires going to the speaker terminals, while a field coil will have at least 4.

5. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

There are five wires going to the speaker. I haven't gotten the speaker picture bounced to a CD yet, but here's two pics of the chassis. Photoshop or some glitch won't allow me to enlarge the pics anymore. Hopefully you can see something here. I took a close up of the plug for the speaker cause I had never seen so many wires going to a speaker before. It's the socket on the right, next to the large orange, (cap?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I can't really tell from those pictures. If there are five wires coming from the output transformer and going to the speaker itself, then it is a field coil.

7. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

Yes. In the top pic you can see five wires going into a five socket plug. That's it.
    Still trying to nail down a date for this puppy...

8. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Are there any EIA codes on the pot, or the electrolytic caps?

9. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

I don't know what an e-cap is - if you can point it out to me I'll look. On the pots I'll have to pull it back outa the case and look. I figured they might be like the guitar. Stackpole with no way to reference the code. But, I'll look anyway in hopes for the best.

thank you very much for your continued help!

10. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

The Model 60 was out of production by 1948, if that's any help. Probably by 1942, in fact, but I can't verify that.

11. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

Well sure that's a help. Thanks. How did you know that? It seems from everything I've looked at so far it's late 30's early 40's.
    Guitar sounds wicked thru my Marshall Master Fifty.....

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Jensen was building mostly permanent magnet speakers by the early 50s, but didn't really have the Alnicos in the catalogue till after 48. I'm wondering if it's a fairly early field coil, since by 48 they were using the FN/P/C designator for the magnet type. If so, the C1050 might be the date code: 05th week of 1940?

13. nmiller

I have a bunch of Supro catalogs, starting with 1948, and the Model 60 isn't in any of them. I believe it's pre-1942 because that's the year that National-Dobro was reorganized into Valco, and I believe that's when all Supro models acquired a 4-digit model number. The "60" designation was characteristic of the National-Dobro days when the model number was also the price in dollars.

If you see "National Dobro Corp" anywhere on the amp, it's pre-1942 for sure.

14. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

There's a corner of a piece of paper stapled in the case....damnit. Wonder what it had on it. Not enough left to see anything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Those pictures are better, but unfortunately are blocking the exact area of the transformer to be able to tell.

You an pull the bell off to get a better look. Take a flathead screwdriver, unscrew that center screw, and pull the bell off the speaker. Be gentle, of course.

I am leaning more towards field coil, but not 100 percent definite.

16. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

17. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

18. nmiller

19. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

20. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Much better pictures. Those are great. Field coil.