Having trouble playing this

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by still.ill, Jul 29, 2008.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

e-|---------------14------ 14
    B-|-----------17--14--14-- 14
    G-|-------------------16b18----= from foxy lady
    D-|----------------------------=
    A-|----------------------------=
    E-|------------------------------=

It seems you have to alternate extremly different finger positions from the doublestop to the bend...
    im kinda concerned practicing this will wear out the fret in no time

2. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

That's a pretty standard position for a whole lot of rock licks, think of the old Chuck Berry licks...

Bar your index finger across the first two strings at the 14th fret and use your ring finger for the G string bend. The bend should match the barred note on the B string (C#). You can use either your pinky or ring finger for the E note on the 17th fret.

Don't worry about your frets, they're pretty tough. :)

-Mark

3. still.ill

still.ill Member

its impossible to do the doublestop and the bend in the same hand position

4. stevel

stevel Member

I'm not sure what you mean. The 14 with the 16 bend is called a "unison bend" (because the when you bend up the 16th on the 3rd string a whole step to 18, it produces a unison pitch with the 14th fret on the 2nd string).

You have to "broomhandle" these licks a lot of times. That means you have to play "lazy" and angle your hand (as opposed to the "classical guitar" or "proper" position).

After you play the 17th fret note, lay your 1st finger across the 1st and 2nd strings. Play the double stop and then put your ring finger (usually) on the 16th fret note and play it, and the already held 2nd string note , and of course bend the 3rd string note.

HTH,
    Steve

5. still.ill

still.ill Member

having my first finger across the 1st and 2nd strings makes it extremly difficult to do the unison bend at the same time--- what im doing is now is playing 17, than playing the doublestop- than switching my hand position and playing the bend (without my first finger creating the doublestop) and than back to odd double stop position

6. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

7. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

It will take some practice if you're not used to it but that hand position is the basis for a ton of rock licks so it's worth practicing until you get it down. I did a quick search and here's a lesson that shows how to utilize this hand position, he's in a different key but hopefully it will help. He shows the unison bend at around 3:40.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2RVy8QVS8Dw

Mark

8. still.ill

still.ill Member

in the vid he's actually not holding down the doublestop (he lifts his finger up to give him more leverage) when he's doing the bend

9. 3Sides

3Sides Member

He lifting his finger to choke the double stop so it doesn't bleed into the unison bend. Lifting actually gives you less leverage and would be a bit harder than keeping the doublestop fretted the whole time.

10. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

Well, at least we've moved past it's impossible. :BEER

There are so many ways to play that lick but it is important to learn the many variations to play this kind of music. Now you know the fingering so you need to work on making it sound like the lick you're copying. Do you have something like Amazing Slow Downer that you can use to slow the lick you're working on down and loop it while you play along? That would probably help you a lot at this point...

-Mark

11. still.ill

still.ill Member

ok i'm not getting this at all keeping the doublestop fretted the whole time severely limits my bending ability--- i bend better when my first finger is angled not flat on the strings

12. 3Sides

3Sides Member

I think I know what you are saying. You are use to using your index finger a certain way (angled) as an anchor for the bend. With a flat finger your losing leverage and the ability to bend. I find a get more leverage from my thumb with a flat finger and more leverage from the neck with an angled one. So this particular maneuver is one you'll have to find a way to adapt to.

It sounds like its something you will have to just get used to.

13. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

Here's an Andy Aledort video lesson for the Foxey Lady solo...maybe it will help. I think 3Sides nailed it though, just going to take awhile to get used to it...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gbi2qHi-1z8