having trouble with those weird bends

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by still.ill, Jun 27, 2008.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

i can do normal bending fine and i mute with my picking hand...but sometimes in a lot of songs it has

bending on the g string, but play a note on the b string simultaneiously

like 15 on B string, bend 17 on G string

and the problem is whenever i see these they're all played rapidly after each other so i have trouble muting the bend

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I am assuming your palm muting to kill the note, that is how I do it.

3. mike80

mike80 Member

I use a combination of lifting the fretting finger off the board ever so slighty, and using my thumb on my picking hand to choke out the notes that I don't want played.

4. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

That's a pretty common motif, started with Chuck Berry and has been used to death by every man and their dog ever since, notably Angus Young. About hald the Kiss solo I played the other night was just that for 8 bars, wiht a bit of wheedle, wheedle, then teh same motif repeated up an octave, with a bit of wheedle wheeeeee. I was laughing so much when people were coming up saying, wow, what a great solo. Talk about smoke and mirrors.
    My tip for learnigng to mute is to lock yourself in a room with a high gain amp turned up and don't let yourself out until you have learnt to mute.

Trust me, without consciously knowing how you are doing it, you will learn to mute really well in those circumstances. More motivation than a crying baby.
    Bung some AC/DC on a play along. You'll learn to mute those twee open chords they play so much as well, using a combination of fret hand and pick hand muting.
    THrowe in a few bends where you bend up and fret a note on the high E wiht your pinky too, that's another common motif.

5. still.ill

still.ill Member

i just can't seem to mute the reverse bend fast enough with my picking hand....

6. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

So, what you are describing is a unison bend, I think, now that I have read it again.
    The string control there is more about your fretting hand.
    It's a slow release of the G string, even though it might be a fast motif.
    I'm still a little confused what you mean, since you have said the notes are played fast after each other, but also you have said simultatneously. Anyway, sooner or later it will be both.
    I might suggest you go back to the good old caterpillar or chromatic scale. As you go up the scale, think about muting the next string in front of your finger from the one you are fretting. I was taught this as a way of getting that finger to mute a note. You will see people muting the sixth string like this while playing a 5th string rooted power chord.

7. still.ill

still.ill Member

what i mean is sound simlar to this

at around 3:29