Having two different watt speakers wired parallel

Steve1216

Situation: I have two iso cabs I use for recording. One has a V30 in it. The other is about to have a red white and blue (120watts) in it. Both are 8 ohms. I tend to use them linked together, which is supposed to wire them in parallel making the two 8 ohms 4 ohms, as that's what most of the heads I use call for. I only record one at a time, so I don't care about one speaker being louder than the other. But will it physically harm anything to use the speakers together in this way?

zenas

One of my Twin Reverbs has a Greenback and a Creamback in it. ( they were laying around) Both 8 ohms wired parrallel for 4 ohm impedance.
Now we get into wattage. The GB is 25 the CB is 65, or 75. You go by the lowest rated one so the rating of the pair is only 50 watts. We assume both speakers get equal wattage so at 50 watts the GB gets 25.
That combination in an 85 watt TR is very underrated ! Don't do that!
I'm not worried about it because shear volume will keep the wattage low enough. If not the GB is a Chinese one anyway and reconing isn't that hard. :)

Screwball

Shouldn't cause a problem. Just know that in this configuration the max wattage is double that of the lower rated speaker, not the sum of the two ratings.
how do you figure? I always thought wattage is additive in series or parallel

Screwball

Each speaker gets half the power. The current has no idea what the power handling of the speakers is.
that makes sense. Voltage is the same in parallel, with the same rating in ohms, making them both pull the same current. I was just confused by the max wattage comment, which will be a rating of what the speaker can handle, nothing to do with how many watts they will run at

Blue Marvel

For example if speaker A is 50 watts and speaker B is 150 watts you have a 100 watt power handling ability. The reason is if you put 125 watts into the pair you are sending half that power (75 watts) to speaker A and it will blow. Speaker B will be fine but speaker A will die.

Trending Topics