Hayseed 30-EF86?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Myron Stratis, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

What is the default setup for the switchable ef86 option? Is it applicable to both channels? I am asking because I definitely need the 12ax7 as an option on the normal channel :)

2. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

The EF86 is only on the normal channel. You can just use the 12AX7 on that channel if you like or switch to the EF86.

3. iodine74

iodine74 Member

What does the EF86 get you? For some reason I think I remember reading somewhere that it was a higher gain circuit, but I can't find that description anywhere anymore.

I know there's an ebay auction for a head right now and there a pic of the instructions that mentions vol1 controls both channels when the ef86 is involved... what happens to vol2?

4. Lammy

Lammy Member

Man, i am jonesing for one f these hayseeds....may have to bid....yum...

5. ronster

ronster Member

I ordered my Hayseed at the first of the year - counting down the days until sometime late April - early May.

There's a lot of Hayseed discussion (and some threads with detailed pics) over at the Plexi Palace discussion board.

ronster

www.moonshotradio.com

6. bscepter

bscepter Member

As far as I know, the knob just allows you to switch between the 12AX7 and the EF86. On mine, the EF86 gives it a lot more gain and low-end, making it almost like a Marshall. No it's really not a higher-gain circuit, just a higher gain tube, I think. I could be wrong, though.

I use my normal 12AX7 channel live (Top Boost is too bright for my tastes), but I use both the TB and EF86 channels in the studio. It's a great option to get.

One thing, though: current-production EF86s are very hit-or-miss. Rob shipped mine with a Svetlana, I think, which works well. I now have an NOS Telefunken in there, which sounds great. You may want to invest in an NOS EF86 when you get your amp.

7. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

i don't think i would go as far as saying that the ef86 is a higher gain tube. it does sound different. more low end and low mids in my amp. actually, i think it is lower gain that a 12ax7. fwiw, the ef86 channel in my hayseed custom is lower gain than the 12ax7 channel. i blend them to get a really rich sound. the ef86 fills out the low end and gives it some girth. the 12ax7 channel blends some high end zing and some more gain.

8. iodine74

iodine74 Member

I think I got slighty confused with that statement. :confused:

So, since the decription of the amp on the site isn't to my liking ... let me state what I think it is, and then someone can fill in for me. :D

Amp is 2 channels..
    1> Bypass (What I think you are calling Normal 12ax7 channel)
    2> Top Boost

And by "Bypass" I assume it means bypassing the 3 EQ controls I've seen in pictures? Or is it bypass the master volume and the EQ is still intact (which wouldn't make sense to me.. cause I'd think you could get that same sound from just cranking the master volume)?

Standard Features (no cost upgrade)
    - Half Power Switch on back
    - Trem (works on both channels)
    - Master Volume (on back -- unfortunately)

Options
    - FX Loop
    - Reverb OR EF86 channel

So does the EF86 added only to the Bypass Channel?

Man.. i feel like the idiot that i truely am. :NUTS

9. iodine74

iodine74 Member

10. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

The EF86 is only on the Normal channel, not the TB channel.

11. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

I just got mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Channel 1 (Bypass Channel) has 3 modes: N= Normal 12AX7, B6= Brilliant EF86, and N6 = Normal EF86. The Cut control operates on this channel but not the Hi or Lo tones controls. The Master and 1/2 power switch also operate on this channel. I hope that helps.

12. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

just for people reading this post in the future, EF86s have WAY more gain than a 12ax7. They are ultra high-gain preamp tubes and if cranked will squeal. If you dime the normal 12ax7 on the hayseed, it just gets very overdriven and crunchy, but warm. Diming the EF86 will be very gainy and squeal terribly, you can get amazing sounds out of it though. I prefer the "normal" EF86 setting as opposed to the "bright" EF86 setting. There is a WALL of bottom end w/ the normal setting

13. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

The switch on the back selects the bypass channel modes for channel 1 only. N is normal 12aX7.B6 is brilliant EF 86, N6 is normal ef 86.