Hayseed 30 is a no brainer vs. the AC30CC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IPlayHamers, Aug 24, 2005.

1. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

For $50 more you can have a hand built, ptp wired, made in America AC30 type amp instead of a Chinese made, circuit board AC30 which I understand has had many QC problems. Some of you may have been lucky and got a good one, but I've been hearing horror stories about alot of the Chinese AC30's motorboating, cutting out, noisy tubes, etc. For my money, it's the Hayseed without a doubt.

IPH

2. Ogre

Ogre Member

I'm hearing nothing but great reviews for that amp. You can't beat the prices.

3. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I did a lot of reading/research and I agree. That's why I ordered a Hayseed 30... Can't wait!

4. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    The Hayseed is for real. I've made this comparison here before but it has a clearer clean tone and more of what I consider a classic Vox rasp when pushed than my AC30HW ever had. I don't miss the HW's reverb - it's okay - and for the price difference I have a Powerglide on order.

5. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

my hayseed custom was delivered months ago and has been going out with me every week to the open stage. it kills. it is a smoking hot deal on a smoking hot amp. build quality and available options make it a serious contender in the reasonably priced amp market. rob made mine with a vox ac15 style channel with ef86 preamp tube and a simple tone switch. channel 2 is based on a matchless chieftain with normal tone stack and channels are internally jumpered. the output section is a cathide biased pair of el34's. blend volumes to taste, set the master and let her rip.

6. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

so if you get the EF-86 option, can you bypass it so it sounds like a regular ac30, or do you have to replace the preamp tube w/ a 12ax7? also, how much more gain is there? like high gain territory, or just a little extra kick?

7. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

there is a little less gain on the ef86 channel. not much though. the two different channels compliment each other very well. with both channels around 3 o'clock it's a little more gain than my rivera bm60 if that helps. maxed, it gets pretty close to high gain territory.

8. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

so what options should i get for that classic vox ac30 TB sound? just the reg 12ax7 w/ alncio blues?

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

sounds like my kind of amp! :dude

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

I guess a closer comparison would be Hayseed vs. Dr. Z Mazerati. How different are these two? Does the 3 band tone control vs. 1 for Mazerati make much difference?

11. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Gold Supporting Member

The EF86 option includes a switch on the back of the amp that lets you switch between 12AX7, normal EF86 and brilliant EF86. It definitely has more gain than the 12ax7 preamp, but I wouldn't call it high gain - not by my definition of it, at least.

12. morgan

morgan Guest

That's pretty much how I would describe it too. I still love mine.

I've got a PG on order as well...:D

As to the mazerati comparison, it's been a while, but I think the mazerati leans more towards the fender camp, while the hayseed really is a vox. Not really a take on a vox like a bad cat, but a vox. It's the ac30 I've always wanted.