1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Hayseed 30 speakers?? 1x12 or 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratboy01, May 23, 2011.

1. stratboy01

stratboy01 Member

Recently acquired a Hayseed 30 head. It has the 2011 mod installed and sounds absolutely amazing. Never heard an AC30 voicing so warm and fat sounding.

Im thinking of doing a 2x12 mix with a Weber Blue and G12H30. However, I am digging the sound of all the Morgan clips of the ASW KTS-70 in oversized 1x12 cabinets. The ASW Elegante might sound nice with the Hayseed as well. Has anyone ever played ASW speakers with their Hayseed?? I think an ASW speaker with the Hayseed head might be the ultimate grab and go setup... by the way, not looking for the 15watt blue Alnico sound here (more mid/treb and early speaker breakup). I want a fuller fatter tone, but still be able to have the chime.

Thanks

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. stratboy01

stratboy01 Member

3. MT Buckaroo

MT Buckaroo Silver Supporting Member

Not a Hayseed owner, but I like the Elegante in anything. Currently residing in my Matchless, but has seen my Morgan, /13, and Sommatone too.

4. stratboy01

stratboy01 Member

those are all great amps. good to know that it's a versatile speaker

5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I almost always prefer two speakers if you don't mind carrying them.

6. crazyForce

crazyForce Member

In the morning shadow of the Bear River Mountains
    Hey MT, which ASW are you using, and how would you compare it?

7. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Member

I'm running a 2x12 Blue Dog / Silver Bell (both ceramic) combo with my Hayseed 30 w/ 2011 mod and I love it if that helps.

8. stratboy01

stratboy01 Member

oh yeah, i remember that video of brad paisley using that setup with a dr z amp way back when. Did you go for the 15, 30, or 50 watt versions? Im thinking the 30's would be ideal... do you think a weber blue dog and celestion g12h30 would almost be the same as the blue dog and silver bell?

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  9. stratboy01

stratboy01 Member

that is a great video...but it's showcasing a 50 watt 6L6 based head with a les paul. I have a 4xEL84 amp and single coil guitars...

i was just debating between a 1x12 loaded with either a ASW Elegante or KTS-70.......or a 2x12 setup with Weber blue dog/silver dog/G12H30 and trying to get opinions on these potential setups.

thanks

10. ES330

ES330 Member

I remember a Top Hat el84 2x12 that sounded very good with a
    Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30.

I've always thought those speakers blended well together
    Didn't have the mojo when a G12H30 was substituted for each speaker.
    Though Brian at Top Hat really likes the G12H30

I also like the WEber Ceramic Blue Dog better than the Alnico version.

11. MT Buckaroo

To follow up, I have an ASW KTS70 and an ASW Elegante. I prefer Teles. I have a bunch of EL84 amps. Between these two speakers in an EL84 amp, I'd go with the Elegante every time and twice on Sunday. You will not regret the extra coin.

The KTS70 is like the best G12H30 you've ever heard, but from me that's a backhanded compliment. It has a certain place, but the Elegante will go more places.

I happen to have a Scumnico 30 watter in my Morgan and think that is a great speaker as well for that application. A Scumnico/H75 combo in an open back 2x12 is an option you should not overlook.

12. stratboy01

stratboy01 Member

MT, I play teles too.....but what about a Strat or a P-90 equipped guitar? how will those sound along with the Elegante? That's kind of why I thought the KTS-70 might be a bit more versatile with other single coils besides just Teles. Ive never played either of these speakers in person though, just going off of soundclips and video demos...unfortunately, most people demo these speakers with Teles...ive only seen one video with a Strat.

13. MT Buckaroo

The other day I had the Elegante in my Sommatone (which is a bit Marshally when cranked, and it was cranked), with a Les Paul, and it was great. Top end on the Elegante is never harsh, and I think it handles reasonably overdriven tones (i.e. not metal) wonderfully well. It seems to be sort of neutral to me, and just has great balance.

The KTS70 has a creamy overdriven tone, but with more present upper mids ala a G12H-30 than the Elegante, and that may or may not be your cup of tea.

14. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

Thanks for your input on my post re. the Reverend Alltones. I used 2 Blue Dog ceramics in my last Hayseed and thought it was great. I was just trying to save some $ on buying another Blue Dog. Posted a WTB but have gotten no offers.

15. Tadams

Tadams Silver Supporting Member

I have a single Weber Blue in my 1x12 combo, which I like because of the size and weight. Sounds very good. I occasionally plug it into another 2x12 cab (with Weber Blues also) and I can't say it makes me want to lug a separate 2x12 around for the added benefit.

[​IMG]

16. stratboy01

stratboy01 Member

that's good to know about the 2x12 vs 1x12. that cabinet is gorgeous! Did Rob make that? or is it a custom job?

17. stratboy01

stratboy01 Member

no problem. i wasnt knockin those speakers either. Alltone's have great tone...just not for this amp. I see Blue Dogs for sale all the time on the forum here. Or if you're a member on the Dr Z site, Id check there too if you're in a hurry. I believe you have to be a member for 30+ days to access their emporium though...

18. Tadams

Tadams Silver Supporting Member

Thanks!
    I bought it used, but I believe it was a North Coast Music cab and vinyl the original owner provided to Rob.