hayseed 30 vs budda superdrive 30 II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by adelphi710, Aug 30, 2005.

1. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

i know the two amps won't have identical tones, considering the hayseed is an ac30 replica and the budda is an ac30 "based" amp. however, i was curious if they have similar power and clarity? does one have more thump/body than the other? i remember trying the budda a while ago and thinking it was lacking clarity, but i played it again today and i can't imagine how i ever thought that. i'm assuming the hayseed will sound more like an AC30 CC, but much better. two very different amps...tough decision

2. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

well, with the ef86 option in the hayseed you may have something more versatile. i had a budda sd18II for several years. while my hayseed is more of a custom and not identical to the average hayseed, i can say that he budda does not approach the complexity of the valvetech hayseed. the master was real touchy on the budda and there is a big disparity between clean volume and drive volume. it takes a little tweaking to set up for a usable live situation. there are mods to fix this from what i have heard. the valvetech hayseed is non-channel switching but you will never miss it. it reacts well to guitar volume changes and has as much punch and complexity of any amp i have played.

3. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

plus i can ABY the normal channel and the top boost channel can't i?

is the hayseed set up like the AC30 CC in a sense that it has a separate VOLUME control for the TB channel and the Normal channel each, and also has an overall MASTER vol?

you can get some good tones w/ the CC by cranking the TB vol, and leaving the normal vol lower, but turning the master up. right there you can A/B a clean and dirty setup.

thanks

4. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

5. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

the master is shared still, but each separate channel has it's own volume (gain/output) control.

6. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

The Hayseed with reverb has the 2 ch out of phase. Not sure if the CC, or the originals are this way....Without reverb, I am not sure how Rob wires them..I am not a big fan of the out of phase sound with the Normal, and TB ch. Not as cool sounding as the old 4 input marshalls IMHO.
    As far as the ABY, ask rob or search the forum. I think it has been discused.

7. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

mine is w/o reverb and the channels are not out of phase. with the ef86 option i don't think the channels would be out of phase anyway since it is not a dual triode like a 12ax7.

8. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    The original Top Boost amps the bypass and TB channels were out of phase.
    Since channel 1 uses only one voltage gain stage, and the Top Boost uses 2 voltage gain stages( cathode follower does not change the phase relationship)they are tied togeter on the same side of the driver/PI. On the marshall /tweed bassman type amps, each channel uses 1 stage each, then tied together before the 2nd voltage gain stage, thusly keeping the 2 channels in phase.
    The hayseed EF 86 channel is wired in phase with the Top Boost channel. It hooks to the other side of the driver, where the reverb is connected on the reverb amps.
    Rob

9. propska

propska Member

I had a PTP Sd30, but sold it to get a hayseed. I never had a chance to A/B them side to side. I liked the drive channel on the SD30- very marshallish, but not quite as tight. But I felt the cleans were a bit dull. I had the volume mod to balance the channels, and it worked very well. with the mod, the drive channel was a bit more open and loose. I've had the hayseed for the past few months. Just for reference, I tend to jumper the two channels and mix normal and top-boost. The hayseed has more low end thump and upper end chime, and is has more clarity than the budda. The budda had more mids. I'm not sure what you mean by power, but the hayseed felt louder and punchier.

My overall conclusion. The budda is a good two-channel amp that bridges the vox/marshall territory well. But it left me wanting more. I wanted more true vox and marshall sounds. So I sold the budda and bought a hayseed and miniplex. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. But, I think new buddas go for about $2000. I got both my hayseed and miniplex for under $2000 total. Now, i don't think i can ever go back to a single amp set up. one for dirty, one for clean, and stereo options to boot. it's nice.

10. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

excellent review. thank you.

11. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

12. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Is the Vox CC ch blend in phase or out?