Hayseed 30 vs Vox TBX Clips Take 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wilder, Mar 1, 2006.

1. wilder

wilder Member

I have to say I was amazed at the interest level and number of responses to the original thread. I'm going to link it here and link this one to the original one for reference purposes.

We re-recorded clips of both amps tonight. We used the same mic, pre-amp, and speakers but adjusted the tone/cut knobs on each amp's brilliant channel until we were pleased. Once again forum member Colt and his roommate/buddy Spencer played the guitars and the amps are my Hayseed 30 and member GKelm's recent AC-30 TBX. Both amps were played through the TBX's Celestion Blues since the Hayseed's Blues are not really broken in yet. Once again I will re-iterate that both amps sound great and if you were in the room with them you would be hard pressed to make a choice as to which one you preffered. We've decided not to identify the amps at this time to avoid any prejudicial judgements. If you prefer one to another just state your opinion and I'll identify them in a day or so.

Amp A Tom Petty Progression - Tele Bridge

Amp B Tom Petty Progression - Tele Bridge

Amp A Groove - Tele Neck - Tele Neck

Amp B Groove - Tele Neck - Tele Neck

Amp A Clean - Tele Middle

Amp B Clean - Tele Middle

Amp A Riff - Tele Middle

Amp B Riff - Tele Middle

Amp A Lick 1 - EJ Strat Bridge+Middle

Amp B Lick 1 - EJ Strat Bridge+Middle

Amp A Lick 2 - EJ Strat Bridge+Middle

Amp B Lick 2 - EJ Strat Bridge+Middle

Amp A Lick 3 - EJ Strat Bridge+Middle

Amp B Lick 3 - EJ Strat Bridge+Middle

The Hayseed EF86 clips below were recorded for reference value only:

Hayseed EF86 - EJ Strat Bridge+Middle

Hayseed EF86 - EJ Strat (very) loose Improv

Hayseed EF86 - Gibson R7 (very) loose Improv

The guitars were a Warmoth tele with a Peter Florance Voodoo bridge pup and a G&L MFD neck pup, a stock Fender EJ Strat, and a 03 Braz board R7 with a Timbucker in the bridge and a real PAF in the neck. I hope this blind test is viewed with more objectivity than the first post. We feel we did a better job of tuning the amps to sound their best.

Thanks,

Chris

Colt:
    [​IMG]
    Spencer:
    [​IMG]

2. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Ok I'll take a shot with the caveat that I may be making a fool of myself as always:
    Amp A Tom Petty Progression - Tele Bridge HAYSEED

Amp B Tom Petty Progression - Tele Bridge VOX

Amp A Groove - Tele Neck - Tele Neck HAYSEED

Amp B Groove - Tele Neck - Tele Neck VOX

Amp A Clean - Tele Middle HAYSEED

Amp B Clean - Tele Middle VOX

Amp A Riff - Tele Middle THIS WAS A TOUGH ONE, HAYSEED?

Amp B Riff - Tele Middle VOX MAYBE?

Amp A Lick 1 - EJ Strat Bridge+Middle GOTTA BE HAYSEED

Amp B Lick 1 - EJ Strat Bridge+Middle GOTTA BE VOX

Amp A Lick 2 - EJ Strat Bridge+Middle NO FRIGGIN CLUE

Amp B Lick 2 - EJ Strat Bridge+Middle NO FRIGGIN CLUE AGAIN

Amp A Lick 3 - EJ Strat Bridge+Middle HAYSEED

Amp B Lick 3 - EJ Strat Bridge+Middle VOX

I'm guessing amp a is hayseed and b is vox unless you switched them for each clip in which case the only one I can't make a guess for is the "NO FRIGGIN CLUE" ones above. For those ones I could have gone either way in my guessing.

Thanks for posting those - they sound great!

3. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

BTW would you mind too much PM-ing or emailing me to tell me the results if convenient? I am super curious.

Thanks again for the great sounds...

4. Roe

Roe Member

to me, amp B has a harder attack than amp A - esp. the "Riff" (tele middle).
    I prefer amp B and want that to be the hayseed.
    But I got confused when I started to listen to the old clips again and tried to compare them to the new ones.

5. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

A has to be hayseed and B Vox. The Vox sounds richer than the hayseed, which doesn't sound quite as full.

6. bigroy

bigroy Member

On the clean I'm hoping it's the Hayseed on clip A, as I have one on order.The high end sounds more open with a little more chime.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Good idea - but after the last time where if you happened to prefer the Vox to the Hayseed you were "attacked" for having cloth ears :D. I can't be bothered...

I'll watch for the results though.

Best, Pete.

8. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Actually most people agreed that the Hayseed was bright and the Vox sounded better. I found this also so it's not just your ears. The issue seemed to be that people wondered why you wouldn't EQ them similarly.

9. SLG

SLG Member

I think it will be interesting to see if all the connoisseurs that chimed in on the original thread are willing to put their ears where their mouth is, and post their opinions without knowing which amp was used on which clip. I'm not all that bothered about the Hayseed vs. Vox debate. I am interested in seeing if all the experts can CONSISTENTLY identify the amps based on blind listening tests.

I wouldn't post the true results for SEVERAL days. Make sure all the experts have plenty of opportunity to post their opinions. This should be good.

10. medrawt

medrawt Member

Hmm. Assuming you weren't truly cruel and switched "A" and "B" randomly from set to set, which would mean most of what I was hearing was in my head (I made a judgment after the first two clips, and then that colored the rest of what I had to say), I definitely preferred Amp B for the Tele Bridge and Neck clips, preferred Amp A slightly for the middle position clips, and didn't have a preference for the Strat stuff. I'm guessing Amp A is still the Hayseed and Amp B is the Vox, because what I dug in the B clips here sounds like what I dug in the Vox clips...but I could easily imagine that you (would be able to) set the controls intentionally to give us a hard time and essentially invert the sounds from last time, so I wouldn't bet any $ or years of my life on it.

11. mkg

mkg Member

I could easily live with either A or B...I could hear slight differences on some of the clips, most noticeably the Tom Petty pair. But even in that case I think the human factor was evident in that the two clips were played slightly differently as regards attack, which is to be expected.
    For all practical purposes I think one could get either amp to sound almost exactly like the other with a little tweaking.
    Thanks to you guys for posting these, your efforts are much appreciated.
    :BEER

edit: oops, I meant the "Needle and Damage Done" riff above, not TP.

12. ronster

ronster Member

Yup, thanks! I have a Hayseed on order and appreciate having some more clips to play from time to time (when I'm feeling impatient).

ronster

www.moonshotradio.com

13. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I don't which is which but amp B sounds fuller and slightly more complex in all those clips to me.

14. morgan

morgan Guest

At least in the clips I listened to (tom petty, tele middle), I think amp A is the hayseed. I've got one and I really do like it, although it can be bright. But in these clips, I think they are very close. One is brighter, airier, the other middier, more complex, jumblier. There are differences, but it's splitting hairs. But I guess that's what we do. :)

15. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

I dig both, but I like A best. To me, A sounds more chimey and open. B, while it seems to have more present mids, also seems to have a boxy feel to it.

16. morgan

morgan Guest

And thanks for the EF86 clips, that sounds hot. I'm really sorry I didn't get that option.

17. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I listened to the Petty Clips. Clip B sounds FAR better out of those two. I compared it to the Vox Petty clip in the other thread, and still like the Vox clip in that thread more. Different mic location maybe?

18. mkg

mkg Member

Interesting observation. I can't say that one was far better than the other, but I did notice a difference. From a gigging perspective, which is how I tend to judge amps, I can see how amp A might be preferred because it seems to be occupying a tighter band of the sonic spectrum.
    Of course, one could turn around and say that amp B has more sonic dimension in that particular clip.
    And to complicate matters further, factor in the human element which dictates that one could make two clips using the same amp and get two different sounds.
    In hindsight (and it would be totally cool if the guys did this just to confound us) it'd be interesting to do just that...use the same amp for a couple of the A and B clips just as a control in the experiment to show just how subjective our hearing is.
    :BEER

19. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

If they sound so much the same that you can't tell a difference then picking the VOX is easy, no contest. I can't be bothered with clones unless they are Dumbles or Trainwrecks because I can't afford the real thing.

20. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Cool haha, I think the two amps sounded very good and very close. I think without using a headset I wouldn't notice any difference at all.
    For the first few clips I liked A better and I was guessing it is the Vox. B amp sounded a little cleaner and slightly brighter. Clean as in I thought A had a little more "diffusion" of notes then B where the notes stayed "together" more.
    The latter clips my preference flipped, preferring the sound of the riffs of the B amp because they sounded a little tighter together.