hayseed 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by µ¿ z3®ø™, Jan 24, 2006.

1. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i'm about ready to bite the bullet and order an amp.
    i wanna ask a question about the tremelo option, tho'.
    i'm a bit of a tremelo freak and i would LOVE it if someone would describe to me the intricacies of the tremelo on this amp.
    how slow/fast does it go? how subtle/deep does it go? i had a JMI that at it's most extreme setting was like a strobe.
    so peeps, gimme the dope on the tremelo in the hayseed 30 before there's another dozen or so getting in line to order before me.
    thanx.

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

No answer yet?

I can't help -- I don't have Rob's tremolo (though I kind of wish I did). I'm sure it's nice, though -- tube driven, of course.

3. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

nope, not yet.
    i do have a vic reverberato as well, but i really like the individuality that some tremelo amps have. that's why i'm still hoping that someone w/ the tremelo option on the hayseed 30 will pipe up and lemme know the skinny.
    thanx for the bump, bscepter.

4. bscepter

bscepter Member

I will say that the EF86 option alone makes it worthwhile. I'm still grinning and shaking from just having cranked mine an hour ago!

5. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

that was on my order list as well.
    the rest is red tolex w/ top mount controls and vox grille cloth and celestion 15 watt alnicos and i'm mulling over the mercury magnetics tranny option to get it into JMI AC30 territory.

6. bscepter

bscepter Member

I had Rob put a MM Woden clone in mine, and it sounds fantastic. Plus, no ghosting.

7. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Am I correct in understanding that the trem is global and if you want the reverb option, no EF86 option is available.
    If that is correct, pardon my ignorance, is it not possible to do tube driven reverb and trem with the EF86.
    I am looking to replace a late 90's era AC15 which has both reverb and trem and would love to have both of those.
    Thanks

8. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

OK, i've been playing for decades and i don't think that i've ever played thru an amp that does this ghosting. but i'm not actually sure that it's been 'splained to me what it sounds like.
    we mustn't call it ghosting here in t-dot.
    when i asked if it was the intermodulation distortion that one gets by playing two stopped notes and then bending one of them and the ensuing 'beating harmonics' as being 'ghosting' i was told no it wasn't. no offense to the one that described it, but i didn't really get the drift of what it is.
    so if U have a clip (lord knows, i hate clips) or can 'splain to me (and it seems either my inability to unnerstan' english or relative inexperience for never having experienced the joys of ghosting) WHAT ghosting is?

9. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

my understanding is that he built a very few of them that way and decided that it was the choice of one or the other.
    who knows?
    i'm sure if this thread goes on for long enough he'll turn up here and set us all straight.
    for me, amps like an AC30 are already kinda full sounding, what with all that chimey goodness and all. likewise w/ them there tweed amps with their pine cabs that sing along. reverb isn't ABSOLUTELY needed.
    so, for me the choice is easy.
    the EF86 is a no brainer.
    and someone please, please, PLEASE gimme the skinny on what the hayseed 30 tremelo is all about.
    i'm only seeing now that a better title for the thread would have been "hayseed 30 TREMELO".
    and just what the heck is GHOSTING?????

10. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    Ghosting is when the amp is run at high volumes,and usaully lots of bass, on a bassy pickup neck pickup. The amp demands more current than the filter supply can deliver. What you will hear is an out of tune low frequency that rides on the note you are playing. There are 2 ways that I know of to fix it, add more filtering, which also changes the feel and tone of the amp, install the mercury transformer or best idea, the cut control mod. All the new amps have this done, so this is not going to be much of an issue. This cuts the bass frequencies of the amp,which will require less current from the amp at high volumes, since bass requires more current to reproduce than the treble frequencies.
    Rob

11. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

well, that about says it all.
    i've never heard or experienced it, but i think it would be cool if someone made a pedal that could sound like that...
    so rob, now that i have Ur attention...
    could U gimme the skinny on the tremelo circuit on the hayseed 30?
    how fast/slow/deep does it go? does it do that strobe thing that my JMI did when i had it? is it a robust tremelo like the twin reverb that stays the same no matter how loud the amp is? or is it a '63 vibroverb type tremelo that disappears completely when the amp is saturated and slowly fades in as the notes begin to die out and the saturation decreases?
    and...
    if i order an amp now, about how long will the wait be?

12. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    The wait time is about 4 months right now. Heads go a little quicker.
    The tremelo uses an optoisolator (like a fender twin) only it cuts out the signal at the input of the power tubes,like the old tremeluxes. The trem is constant at all volumes, and works in all modes. It is an excellent tremelo. Expect the same speed and depth that a twin reverb would have.
    Take care,
    rob

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

thanx so much rob.
    part of me was really hoping that the tremelo circuit would have been more like the JMI AC30 that i had. it could go ultra slow and very, very deep and i could get these insane strobing effects.
    having said that....
    what's to argue w/ the tremelo from a twin.
    i'll e-mail U at Ur website.

14. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Rob,
    I would like to re-ask the question I posted a few days ago regarding the EF86 option.
    My question was:
    "Am I correct in understanding that the trem is global and if you want the reverb option, no EF86 option is available.
    If that is correct, pardon my ignorance, is it not possible to do tube driven reverb and trem with the EF86.
    I am looking to replace a late 90's era AC15 which has both reverb and trem and would love to have both of those. (With the EF86)
    Thanks"
    I would like to add another question now that I have heard your description of the trem circuit, Can you please describe the reverb circuit and sound?
    Thanks and all the best,
    Enjoyer

15. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

i have the MM Woden tranny in my hayseed, but it still has ghosting. is this a problem? could it be simply because i have a 15 watt celestion blue and that is the problem? Do you think swapping the MM Woden OT for a MM Maddon OT would get me a darker meaner tone?

16. Roe

Roe Member

this is not the same bias tremolo that the old voxes had is it?

I may be mad, but I'm considering building an ac30 w/top boost, ef86 and (prob) global tremolo

17. soulohio

soulohio Member

i believe me V16 does some ghosting...

and i would be glad to help you out mr zero...i'll take that retro 50 off your hands at a fair price so you can buy new toys and keep your marriage intact.

don't thank me it's just the kinda guy i am.