1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hayseed AC15 vs. Vox AC15 Handwired

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Anyone have a chance to do a DIRECT comparison between these two amps (or possibly their 30 watt big brothers?). I have owned quite a few ef86 amps and they were all great in their own way. But, the Chinese made AC15HW head had a special something that I could not quite put my finger on. It DID have issues (not quiet at idle, some tube rattle, severe popping when switching between 7/15 mode, other switches, etc...) but both of mine were blems from MF and the tubes were probably ready to be replaced.
    I've also owned the Vox AC30 (and 15) cc and they were okay. I got the AC30 modded and that was SWEET! But, a little too big/loud with more potential than I needed, and no ef86.
    I'd love to hear from people who have done direct comparisons between the AC15HW and any Hayseed. Obviously the pro's on the Hayseed are:
    Made in USA buy a great builder and a great guy (see my sig, I have an amp from Rob already)
    Handwired (fully handwired, I don't even know if he uses a turret board)
    MASTER VOLUME - could be VERY important for my home situation
    Possible line level FX loop (for AxeFX :banana)
    Cons, a little more expensive (vs. a used Vox AC15HW)
    Wait list = ???

Now, before everyone goes off on me about looking at another amp while owning the AxeFX... I really dig the sound of the AxeFX coming into the FX return of a good tube amp. I also know there is a four cable method whereby you use your favorite tube amp pre / power but use AxeFX in there as well. Also, the AxeFX clearly is THE best effects processor for the FX loop send/return.
    Also, sometimes I just like to go guitar - cable - tube amp for quick, small time practicing. The AxeFX is clearly the best tool for direct recording, etc... So, there is my explanation on how you can use both and still be happy. :crazy
    (funny how I feel the need to explain myself, but I don't want GuitarTone beating me up and blowing up this thread lol!)
    Anyway, I'd love to hear opinions. I figure in head form an AC15HW would be around $650-750 used, a NEW Hayseed 15 would be close to $1K

2. mockoman

mockoman Member

There was a used Hayseed 15 head in the emporium for $800...The Hayseeds are BUILT.
    I just bought a used 30,and it sounds just like you think it should.

3. Gasp100

Wow... never seen a used Hayseed 15... EVER! And I look in the emporium a lot, too much really. Oh well.

4. mockoman

mockoman Member

Yeah,it was just a week ago. I was tempted,but went for the 30 that was for sale at the same time...NO regrets!

5. thirsty one

thirsty one Member

That is exactly the combination I want. It is truely a shame the Vox doesn't have a loop. If I could sell my Fuchs and Taylor, I would buy exactly what you are talking about. A Hayseed or modded Vox Handwired with a loop + the AxeFX

6. Gasp100

I wonder why they wouldn't add a MV to the Vox handwired stuff. Clearly it's not the EXACT circuit designs of the original 50's (and 60's) designs, right?
    If that puppy had a MV + FX loop it would be an amazing Vox amp, actually made by Vox with some killer vintage tone but with modern day design :)

7. Tritone

Tritone Member

As would I.

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

With the Heritage Vox amps, Vox was targeting the people who didn't like master volumes, reverb, or effects loop. For those that want modern freatures they had their AC30CC/AC15CC amps (now AC30C and AC15C).

Valvetech gives you these options, so that is nice. I thought Valvetech's effects loop was a parallel loop too, which I don't generally find works well with my stomp boxes, maybe this one is different.

9. ford

ford Supporting Member

I talked with someone recently who said the waitlist for Hayseed's is pretty short now.. great amps.... I'd go that direction!

10. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Actually a new Hayseed 15 head is 1,099 without the ef86 and 1,199 with the ef86.

I might actually be selling mine. I'll keep you posted if I do.
    FALSE ALARM: not selling. This thing is awesome. I'm loving it as a combo too, the rattle is gone now that I've taken the preamp tube retainers out. Thinking of putting a scumnico or celestion blue in it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  11. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Ok......... I have a Hayseed 30 and had a Vox AC15H1TV for a few months. The Hayseed is THE tone I've been looking for and I never thought anything I played would come close, but believe it or not the little AC15 did!??! Now, I can't compare apples to apples here since it was an AC15 vs an AC30 clone but they did sound pretty close, with the AC15 sounding a little darker. I ended up selling/trading the AC15 for something a little different as I didn't need two amps that sounded that close to each other.

Here's my thoughts:
    For a while, the AC15 was my "go to" amp because it was new, lighter/smaller and covered basically the same tonal ground as the Hayseed, plus 15wts was perfect for my live shows. After a couple months of playing the AC15 only, I grabed the Hayseed (because I literally felt sorry for it). When I plugged in to it and fired it up, I had to take a double take at it because I couldn't believe I had left it sitting at home the last 2 months......... Man, what a beautiful sounding amp!!! Later that weekend, I got both amps out and did a side-by-side comparison, and without a doubt the Hayseed was the clear winner. That's not saying the AC15 sounded bad, but it was no Hayseed. This is when I decided that if I can't have the same style of amp that sounds as good as the Hayseed, I'd better get a different style of amp so I quit comparing.

Some other notes.... I've also had an AC30cc and an AC15cc. The AC15H1TV (handwiwred) is in a completely different class when compared to those amps IMO. The CC's sounded like toys after playing the handwired series amps.

So if I was you, I'd go Hayseed..... Rob is a great guy to deal with too, and you can get just about any option you want on your amp, plus GREAT customer service and advice. Something you rarely get from Vox (Korg). Plus, the Hayseed is much better built. No cabinet rattle, or cheap feeling parts.