Hayseed Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bushmill, Jan 31, 2006.

1. bushmill

bushmill Member

Quick questions for the Hayseed Crew:

What tubes you all using with success?

What is the order/function of the tubes? I assume the Reverb Driver is near the front, but is V1 right next to the power tubes? Which one controls which channel?

Cheers!
    :BEER

2. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Thanks for asking this question - I just got my Hayseed back and loaded it up with all JJ's and I'm curious too...

So what is V1 V2 & V3 ??? functions and order, say from left to right ( or first preamp tube next to the power tube and out to the edge of the chassis...)

Thanks in advance ~

Steve E

3. propska

propska Member

I think that V1 is on the far edge, V2 is in the middle, and v3 (the PI) is the closest to the power tubes. If I remeber the vox schematic correctly, V1 affects both channels, and v2 the topboost channel only. The reverb driver should be behind the transformers (it's the 5751)

So assuming I'm correct on the tube layout, I currently have

V1: Mullard
    V2: JAN PhilipsECG
    V3(PI): Jan PhilipsECG
    Mullard el84s
    JJ GZ34

I should note, that I have the original hayseed version with the non-modded cut control.

For preamp tubes, I've also tried RTFs, Sovtek LPS, JJ ecc83s, JJ ecc803s, and EIs. I felt both JJs were quite flat acroos the frequency spectrum which makes them very transparent and clear. I hear more pronounced upper mids and slightly smoother highs in the 803 version. The Eis have the most top end which can be a bit harsh at times especially when overdriven. I didn't spend too much time with the LPS, but I immediately noticed the broad frequency spectrum, very balanced. The RTFs have amazing low end, but was too much for me. The JAN Philips are the smoothest of the bunch and is really creamy when overdriven. The Mullard again has a very detailed upper mid and a smooth top end that isn't harsh when overdriven.

For power tubes, I've tried Teslas, JJs, GE's and EIs. To my ears, the JJ's and Teslas's sound similar. Both have the greatest frequency range and more bottom than the others. The both have lots of clarity. The Teslas have a bit more bite and compared to the JJs (the JJs sound a bit duller). I didn't really like the GEs that much. They seemed to have a pronouced mid hump that made the amp a bit too smooth. The EIs have a nice top end- very chimey and are smoother than the JJ/teslas. The mullards have a smoother top end than the EI's, and has the most detailed upper mids compared to the rest.

I think if you got the budget, mullards are the way to go. If money is an issue, I'd throw in a mullard in the V1, go with JJ ECC803s in the V2 and V3, and grab a set of EI 84s. But then again it all depends on what kind of sounds you prefer.

4. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

anyone tried the telam/polems in their hayseed? i have a set of those waiting to go in :)

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

Right now, I've got JJ EL84s, Tung Sol 12AX7 reissues and a Telefunken EF86. I tried some GEs and RCAs in the preamp stage, but I actually prefer the Tung Sols. Go figure.

6. gitt

gitt Member

7. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

that's a cool amp, i have a homemade ac30ish amp, similar to the heyseed, right now i've got mesa tubes for power(relabled?) next time i retube i'm going with Ei power tubes.

right now ive got a mixture of preamp tubes an amperex buegle boy on the normal channel, a telefunken in the top boost channel and i believe an RCA in the Pi.

i just have a GT rectifier, which is good to my ears.

what speakers are you running with that amp?
    how do you like it?

8. morgan

morgan Guest

Great post, thanks! I'm going through a tube rethink on my hayseed right now. I've been running all Ei's, but the latest batch seems way brighter and less 3d/chimey than previous ones I've had. I might try the groove tube mullard and the JJ's you recommend.

9. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

adelphi710...I think the Polams are hands down the best EL84's...maybe the Holy Grail...toss 'em in that Hayseed...let us know when you get your jaw off the floor...
    BT

10. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I was going to try the polams, but I could not find very much info on them. I think any good set of fresh tubes will sound good in a AC30 style amp. The JJ's the H30 I sold you seemed to be real strong. I ran the amp hard for 8 months, and they kept going strong. I bet she is ready for a new set by now. IMHO, new EL84's do not last very long in AC30's.

11. jockman

jockman Member

I have a pair of Polams in my Park 1273, I knew nothing about them, only from what I read on forums like this one, I took the plunge and bought a pair, I will NEVER use any other brand of EL84's, they are that good.
    I have ordered another pair.

Jon

12. 12strings

12strings Member

Is the ECC81 tube shown in the picture above the phase inverter tube? Same as a 12AT7, right? Anyone swap this one with something else? Will this do anything to the tone at all?

13. bushmill

bushmill Member

Well, I ordered a quad of Harma EL84s from Watford and a few different 12AX7s (EH, JJ, Tung Sol RI)....I'll report back on the findings!

:cool:

14. morgan

morgan Guest

i found am old JJ 12ax7 in my tube box and stuck it in V1 over the weekend. It brought back all the good stuff about the hayseed. It's funny, I always found JJ's too dark in my ac15 tbx (and other voxes I've had), but they're great in the hayseed.

How do the polams compare to JJ's or Ei's?

15. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

is anyone familiar with the layout of the hayseed? can anyone confirm if the v1 is furthese from the power tubes and the v3 is closest?

16. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Harmas are relabeled JJs.

NOS Tesla EL84s are awesome.