Hazards of using NOS preamp tubes

frogjames

Do they exist? Say you put a NOS GE 12ax7wa into the v1 of a jcm 800 and the rest are CP preamp tubes. Do you run the risk of the v2 frying faster than usual? Also, since NOS tubes pull more vacuum, is it possible for them to damage any aspect of the amps circuit if the output is too high? Long story short I bought the GE pretty cheap from a non reputable dealer who probably didnt know that it was going to be used in a tube amp. Do I have anything to worry about?

LPVM

No, plug it in and enjoy. Your only risk is wanting to immediately replace the rest of them.

pdf64

Do I have anything to worry about?
Pretty difficult to see how anything could get damaged or stressed.

On the other hand, if the tube wasn't described as being suitable for a tube amp then it may have various issues such as noise, hum or microphonics.

Plenty of imperfect tubes were made back then, even if it really is NOS (rather than used).

If so, such issues may preclude its use in V1 but it may be fine later in the signal chain, eg V2 or 3.
Pete

mark norwine

Hazards? You bet!

When you discover how much better old, 'real' tubes sound, you'll be hooked on an expensive diet. Your wallet should be frightened....

donnyjaguar

The biggest hazard is paying for NOS tubes that in reality have a lot of hours on them. Plenty of bandits out there willing to fleece the unknowing.

Diablo1

The biggest hazard is paying for NOS tubes that in reality have a lot of hours on them. Plenty of bandits out there willing to fleece the unknowing.
Or even worse, paying high prices for a crappy quality new production tube made in some dirt-floor factory, typically marked with a long dead brand name they've resurrected. Do they copy the tube design or original materials choice? Hell no, just the label.

Trending Topics