HBE BigD Opinions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iggs, Mar 3, 2006.

1. iggs

iggs Member

Hey all,

thinking of getting the HBE BigD ... need opinions, suggestions, likes, dislikes ... etc.
    I already have: FD2 MOSFET, OCD (new and old), DistortionPro, BB PreAmp, CrunchBox, Barber Silver LTD.

Thanks all!

p.s. just joined the forum, seems like a grat place! :AOK

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I had a Distortion Pro for a couple of years, never got a good sound out of it.

Last year I bought a HBE Big D. Hell, yes! This is a high gain Marshall in a pedal. It's flexible enough to coax Plexi and JCM tones out of it. The HBE has great sound, great power.

It sounds like you're used to playing high quality stuff. HBE will not disappoint you.

3. cander328

cander328 Member

Stumbled on the HBE Big D at a store today and it followed me home! This thing is so flexible with the 5 position diode switch and clipping switch I couldn't leave it behind! Marshall in a box indeed. I think it will replace my Keeley modded DS-1.

4. Electric I

Electric I Member

This pedal was on my short list for a do-it-all od/dist box.

Got a Burn Unit EQ on the way & for whatever reason it doesn't work out, the Big D gets reconsidered.

Anyone have clips of this thing?

5. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I'm going to check out a Big D tomorrow. I'm curious...what didn't quite do it for you about the Big D, to make you want to replace it with a Burn Unit EQ?

6. Electric I

Electric I Member

I haven't actaully tried the Big D (not sure if that's what you're saying), but of all the pedals I initially researched, the Big D was on a short list of about 5.

The Barber won out mainly due to the samples I heard & it's good reputation.

That said, the BUEQ'll be here this coming week & you can bet I'll put it thru it's paces.

7. DocRock

Oh, sorry...I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that you HAD the Big D and were going to replace it with the BBUEQ. I'll be very interested in hearing what the Barber is all about, as I've been thinking about that one, too.

Best,

Doc :)

8. Electric I

Electric I Member

S'alright. :)

Look for an in-depth review & possibly a sample sometime this coming week.

Cheers

9. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I'm interested in this too. What I wonder is with the Bigger mode it looks like you can control the volume of that independently so there is not a huge jump in volume when going to the boost mode.
    That is one reason I was really wanting something that had 2 independent and distinct channels that you can set differently and cascade.
    The Fish Factory does that I know.
    With the Big D can you set the regular OD for a good crunchy rhythm sound then have the "Bigger" kick in with just a little more volume and grit?
    Thanks and I hope all that made sense!

10. HBob

HBob Member

The Bigger mode doesn't do a big volume boost if you have the gain all the way up. If you have it set to half way up or below the bigger mode can give a huge jump in volume dependig on which set of diods your using. It boosts the bass also but in most settings there's not much of a gain boost with the bigger mode. Some of the settings on the Big D are kind of redundant but it really is a good sounding pedal.

11. playon

playon Supporting Member

My take on this pedal is, some good sounds in there but too fiddly more my taste, with too many knobs and switches.

12. dbx

dbx Member

Funny this thread came up...a Big D followed me home today...I initially went in for a tube, (the store didn't have the type I needed) when I noticed the one sitting in the display seeming to say "try me". It was a done deal after about 15 minutes with it, lot's of different OD/dist textures in there and surprisingly quiet..You're right it isn't a plug n play type of pedal but the flexibility of those knobs and switches was the capper for me...plus at $135.95 (new), it wasn't too hard to convince myself...looking forward to trying it in a band setting this week...

:RoCkIn

13. KeithC

dbx,
    Report back after you get to try it with the band.
    I ordered one but it will be 10 days or so before I can try it out with the band.

14. dbx

dbx Member

Will do...:dude

15. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

i am wondering if the BigD can go rat-like??

16. DocRock

Just bought one on Saturday. Will have it in a band setting tomorrow night. I'll post once I've had a chance to put it through some real-world paces. For my particular application, it beat out Menatone KOB, T-Rex Mudhoney, Xotic BB & AC, EMMA Reeza. For hard rock rhythm, I still think my (older) OCD may have a bit of a better tone. I was looking to replace my OCD because I was dissatisfied with its lead tone. I found that the Big D delivered more in that department. Top end doesn't get as thin as older OCD because it has much more midrange. The downside, though, is that the plentiful midrange can muck up some of the string-to-string definition at higher gain settings, something the OCD was actually pretty good at.

Still haven't tried the newer OCD, as the store I was at didn't have any in stock. Who knows, maybe the new OCD would have won? I dunno. So far, I am excited about the Big D. I'll post later on when I have some more useful info.

So we'll see, FWIW....

Best,

17. KeithC

"Will do...:dude"

Top notch....TOP NOTCH!

18. Electric I

Electric I Member

Lookin' forward to see what you have to say about both the Big D & Blackstone.

19. DocRock

Yes, I'll definitely post. I wish I could provide everybody with clips, but I don't have the capabilities right now. The Big D definitely kicks ass thus far. I'm a fan of HBE in general. I think they make some really good stuff, and are very reasonably priced (compared to a lot of pedal makers these days). I think a lot of it depends on your application, too. I have had various channel-switching amps over the years, and this time I'm trying to see how well I do with building my tone on a relatively clean platform by using an old Bandmaster Reverb. I have a Klon Centaur on order (for the blues/classic rock applications), and needed a higher gain thing for my hard rock/fusion applications.

I was initially blown away by my older OCD, but the honeymoon has since ended. That's not to say that it isn't a great pedal, because I think it really is. My main complaint was that no matter what I did, I could not get rid of the scooped 80's thing that it does. The Big D definitely has more upper mids, and is more open-sounding...not as compressed as the OCD. I also like that I can still get some pretty good 80's hard rock tones out of the Big D if I want them. But overall, the Big D does a better job of getting earlier Marshall tones, with a broader palette of sounds from which to choose. So far, I've found 4 or 5 sounds that I really like and would regularly use from the Big D. I could only find about 2 sounds out of the OCD...and was still not totally satisfied with its lead tone. Fantastic for rhythm, though. Can't keep everything. I just don't want 72 pedals on my board, you know?

Who knows...I pulled the trigger on a Blackstone today. I wasn't planning on it, but Scott Peterson and Mapleneck's reviews were astounding. I just had to see for myself. Maybe the Blackstone will blow both the OCD and the Big D off my board. Again, it all depends. I have applications that others might not need, and vice versa. The true test, for me, will be with my band tomorrow night. I've found that way more gear sounds good in the bedroom than in a band setting.

Jeez, that was long-winded. I love the Gear Page. I may be turning into a TGP crack head.... :jo

Best,

20. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Not long at all.....well put, Doc.

Where are you guys finding these pedals..?
    All we have around here are GC...