HBE Mimic Delays..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Realfi, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

Is anyone using one?

Other than the delay time is there any tone diff between the two models?

2. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Any new info on these?

3. KRosser

KRosser Member

I think perhaps they're not in widespread circulation yet. I'm still waiting for my local retailer to get his first shipment of them.

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Played them at NAMM. Terrific pedals!

The mock II actually sounded richer to my ears. But they were both very VERY good. Def. on my wishlist.:BEER

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Yeah I'm looking into getting one myself.

6. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

Considering what the Maxon AD-9 sells for, this seems like a really good deal. I am surprised that Homebrew is not more popular. You get a well constructed pedal, with good componets for a fair price. For instance, in the grand sceam of Tube Screamers $155.00 for the basic Power Screamer pedal is a good price. Joel is one of the nicer people you will deal with in this business.

7. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

8. big mike

Joel is one of the class acts of the industry for sure.

9. ThinSkiner

ThinSkiner Member

I just received my HBE Mimic Mock II yesterday. I left the internal pot at the level it came (about the 1/2 way setting) and was horrified at first. There was soooo much clock noise I had to turn the time knob almost all the way down. I then decided to check the internal pot setting...I had to turn it down to about 1/2 of the way in order to make the pedal useful. This pretty much left me with very little delay time. I would say I a getting about 100-200ms MAX out of this thing now with the pot setting so low. I emailed HBE today and hope to hear from them soon. I didn't buy this pedal for the long delays (I actually bought it for short delays...almost a reverb sound) but I would like to have the option for longer delays considering that is what they are advertising. Oh ya...I also had the horrific runaway feedback quite a bit at the higher interal pot setting with the repeat knob at higher levels....VERY annoying.

10. big mike

Very strange. Sounds like something's up. Joel will make it right no doubt.

11. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I remember reading a Guitar Player Analog Delay shootout a few months back and I believe they said that the HBE Mimic was very noisy-I think they were looking at a pink colored unit-the Mock 1? Hopefully, HBE has solved this problem.

12. erksin

erksin Member

Did you consider a Jacques Prisoner? I love mine for short delays - the added modulation is fantastic...

13. drolling

drolling Member

While that clock noise doesn't sound too encouraging, the "horrific runaway feedback" is one of my favorite things about analogue delay. My EH MemoryMan and Diamond MemoryLane both do this with the repeat knob maxed. I was actually quite dissappointed that I couldn't coax this sound out of my Jacques Prisoner.

14. erksin

erksin Member

I never have a use for the runaway oscillation stuff, so the Prisoner is perfect for me. If you're looking for Setzer/Page/Bolin style short repeat tones - the Prisoner is fantastic, IMO...

15. threm

threm Member

I`ve been looking at the Prisoner to replace a DMM for the 3-400 ms modulated delays. I don`t need a full on self-oscillation (get that from AD900 or Echoczar). But I`d like to have the option of lots of repeats going like a tapedelay. How is the Prisoner in this respect? How does it behave when the repeat knob is maxed?

Thanks!

16. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

I found that the Prisoner oscillation gets really saturated and close to self-oscillation but doesn't get full over the top into runaway...

:cool:

17. ThinSkiner

ThinSkiner Member

OK...So the guy I bought the mimic II from on eBay was nice enough to take it back. I purchased an ad-999 and then went in to my local shop to buy a n HBE UFO Fuzz. Well it just so happends they have a mimic II right next to the UFO. I tested it out and sure enough the issues I had with the other one were a fluke. I bought the mimic II and am selling the AD-999 on eBay. The mimic is VERY warm sounding. I do lose a tiny bit of botom end but it was still better in comparison to the AD-999 IMO. If you are looking for a short delay time pedal then I would definitely give this one a try. For the money this is a steal.