HBE Power Screamer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BoB/335, Apr 12, 2008.

1. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

I'm picking up one of these to chack out and want some ideas on what I should expect. What I've read is that it doean't have the mid-hump of a tube screamer yet has the same chip. I thought that was inherent in that chip. Also what can you tell me about the fat boost. Worth it?

2. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

It does have a mid hump but it doesn't seem to cut the bass so in that respect the mid hump is not as noticeable.

The fat boost is subtle but seems to add some girth to the boost channel.

3. fishlog

fishlog Member

I had a power screamer and got rid of it. I regret it everyday. I thought it was one of the best TS type pedals out there in fact I thought it was one of the best OD pedals I had ever played flat out. But for some reason I decided that there must be something better... I have not found it yet.

The only con I found with it was I thought it was noisy using a vintage styled strat. Maybe it was just mine though. The guys at homebrew told me to send it in they were very helpful.
    Maybe one other con I had with it was when going to the OD from clean I could not match the EQ and it always seemed to come in with an unmatched tonal quality that was less bright than my Bassman. But I am nit picking. Your going to love it.

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

As an aside...
    Based on what you're saying, you might want to check out an Aphek Sunday Driver. Just FYI.

5. HBob

HBob Member

I've found that if you want to match your amp's tone you should turn up the tone as you turn up the gain. On the "just starting to break up" settings I usually have the tone around noon. With gain up to around noon to 3 o'clock I set the tone almost all the way up. BTW, the Homebrew CPR sound great with the Power Screamer. (CPR first)

6. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

"As an aside...
    Based on what you're saying, you might want to check out an Aphek Sunday Driver. Just FYI."

Seems that there is a NEVER ENDING amount of manufacturers of pedals!!! I never should have come to this forum. :jo:jo:jo

Thanks for th imput! Still trying to decide if I should send it in for the fat mod. Seems as though there wasn't much comment on that so I guess maybe I don't need it. I play a 335 but I have a Tele that I want to use a bit more.

7. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I've had my tweed Power Screamer almost since they came out, and I still love it; I sent mine in about a year ago for the fat boost & Burr Brown chip mods. While I love the stock lead boost, it seems like more of a treble boost, and I thought the fat boost would be a nice addition.

I think it was well worth doing, as the fat boost adds a good range of tones to the pedal; plus it's switchable, so you can still get the stock boost sound if you want it. I find I use the fat boost more than the original boost, but even if I didn't, it's made the pedal even more versatile.

The chip mod was nowhere near as noticeable a change as the boost mod, it's very subtle. It didn't change the character of the pedal, it just made the gain slightly smoother, and maybe a little warmer. For me, it's not really better, just different; I'm happy with it, though, and don't feel the need to go back to the stock chip.

It's too bad the Power Screamer doesn't get talked about more here. It's a fantastic pedal, with a wide range of tones. It's my "desert island" pedal, and it's the one I grab when I don't want to take my pedalboard; for me, it's a keeper. :AOK

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

:FM :stir :Devil :stir :FM

9. pete james

pete james Member

Yes,A very,very under-rated pedal!

Mine is the Tweed with the fat boost...Very warm sounds:)