HBE Powerscreamer vs. MI Audio Blues Pro/Blues Boy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by carltonh, Feb 7, 2006.

1. carltonh

carltonh Member

Anyone compared the Powerscreamer to one or both of the MI Auido Blues pedals? I get the impression that the Powerscreamer has a lot in common, more gain available, much much more clarity and note definition, etc.

I get the impression that the MI Audio pedals get relatively smoother as the gain increases beyond a Tubescreamer, but the Powerscreamer gets more aggressive (or at least can.)

But I haven't seen any direct comparisons. I'm not necessarily saying one is better than the other, but they must have some differences if I want just one pedal of this type.

2. carltonh

carltonh Member

Bump, has anyone tried both of these?

3. drolling

drolling Member

You really can't go wrong w/the BluesPro. I prefer it to my Zendrive and its only 89 bucks.

But I was just talking w/Michael and he's completely sold out of both pedals. He's a little behind schedule w/the new BB Deluxe, but it should be shipping in a month or so.

4. carltonh

carltonh Member

Bump again. Still curious if there is anyone who has played both.

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I became an Instant fan of the Blues Pro as soon as I plugged into it last week. I bought mine from Musictoyz.com surprisingly he had a couple in stock as of last week when I bought mine!

The BP sounds great with low drive or high drive setting! Never heard the power screamer so I cant give a comparison!

6. Wooley

Wooley Member

I haven't played either, but I just thought I would add that I have been VERY impressed with the Home Brew Electronics pedals that I've heard or used. I think they may be the most underrated manufacturer out there right now, and I have heard nothing but raves about the PowerScreamer. After I get the DosMos, I will probably get the PS.

7. sus4

sus4 Member

I love my Power Screamer. I've never played the Blues Boy, but the PS is a very versatile pedal that makes a TON of GREAT sounds! They're a steal on the used market.

Daniel

8. carltonh

carltonh Member

So what is the approximate going used value on the Powerscreamer? There are a bunch from a liquidation on Ebay for $99 + shipping, but from a zero feedback seller. Maybe someone with a MI Audio Blue pedal can get one to compare. I'm tempted myself by those.

9. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I have a Blues Pro to try try out on the way. I had a PS and really like dit. I won't have them together, but have a good ear so I can post up in a few days. My old PS was edged out by a Keeley Baked, just had a more usable tone at that time for me, but lately been considering getting another PS.

10. Timbeaux

Timbeaux Member

I had an HBE "Big D" and that was an awesome pedal! Then I went and bought a used Power Screamer, thinking that it would be great too....BUT....it sucked! I don't know if it was the particular one that I got (tweed), but compared to my Blues Pro, it just didn't compare.....I know we all have different experiences, but my experience with the Power Screamer wasn't good....not enough gain, mushy, non-articulate, etc..

11. itchyfingers

itchyfingers Supporting Member

Ditch em both! You want this guy. Trust me!

[​IMG]

Same Circuit as the Power Screamer, but the boost is independent.

Squatch57 likes this.
  12. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I have both a Power Screamer and a ParaDrive. I like the gain tone of the Power Screamer better, but the ParaDrive's boost function is much, MUCH more effective than the boost on the PS.

The Screamer's gain is ideal for goosing a dirty amp. The ParaDrive is better for overdriving a clean amp into distortion, and then using the boost for the extra volume kick. I run it last in a chain, and the boost works wonders for the fuzz, wah, treble booster and phaser that are running into it.

Squatch57 likes this.