HBE RetroComp vs Pedalworx McSqueeze?????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fast ricky love, Oct 28, 2005.

1. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I've got a HBE, nice compressor. But I find as I raise the level, it adds brightness and the tone gets thinner... so to get the right tone, I need to keep the level at @ 10:30. At that level it is slightly lower than unity, so the sustain/feedback isn't quite what I want. I love the clips on the McSqueeze site, anyone compare these two? Suggestions???? Thanks!

2. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

have you tried email Joel?

it might be someting as simple as changing the volume/level pot to a different value.

i'm in the market for a power screamer and i've been hanging around on the HBE forum reading stuff. i'm sure you could get in touch with the builder within a day or so. they answer emails faithfully, (i know because i emailed him with some Q's). unlike some guys, he is unbelievably nice and will almost certainly have a suggestion or will do a mod for you.

3. TDavis

TDavis Member

I have an HBE CPR,and haven't noticed those type problems with mine. I'd email Joel...his responses are quick, and HBE Customer Service is second to none!

4. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

I have both of those pedals and love each for different reasons...yes, I've noticed the thinning of the HBE at higher settings and never struck me as a defect, just the nature of the voicing of that compression.

I got the McSqueeze when I became interested in bringing thicker midrange back into my tone and wanted to hear different things-and had started using a Tele. It delivered what I wanted and then some.

Short answer - I think you need both pedals. :) I have no regrets about more crayons in the crayonbox!

5. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

YEah they are prety diferent comps...... the HBE is likely bassed on the MXR/Ross like t he Keeley/Analogman versions...

the McSqueese is based on the Orange Squeezer which is more of a booster limiter (not as squishy)

yeah they both have thier places.......:cool:

6. fast ricky love

I'll probably give it a whirl then... Does the McSqueeze take off a lot of top end though?

7. b_rad

b_rad Supporting Member

Nope. It's one of the better compressors on the market in that respect.

As far as I know Bob hasn't made any McSqueeze pedals in a while, but the same circuit (with more flexability) is available in the Squeeze Factor, which is also made by Bob.

8. fast ricky love

Really? I just checked it out, it's cheaper too. Is it truly the same deal, made by Bob, if so I'll order one...

9. b_rad

b_rad Supporting Member

Yep. Same exact circuit. The only difference is that the toggle was replaced with the blend knob. So instead of two extreme settings (fully compressed/clean boost) you have all of the in between sounds that weren't available on the first version.

10. fast ricky love