HBE UFO: Found the Fuzz For Me...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, May 19, 2006.

1. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Got one of these again yesterday and having tried a lot of fuzz's and octave units I think this is one of the best and most versatile boxes I have heard. A real variety of excellent tones, really usable "Tone" control and switchable Octave on/off. One small thing that I think is really smart is when the octave is turned on the LED stays lit even when the pedal is bypassed. This way you ALWAYS know if it is engaged and don't go turning on the pedal without knowing what you'll get.

And the actual fuzz sound is to my ears really great, long sustain, good variety with guitar volume and not "spitty/gritty". I don't think I will need to look any further for fuzz or ocatve (which tracks REALLY well with many different pickup combinations).

Don't know what others here think of this pedal but I would highly recommend it. Really well built as too!
    :angel

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up. I've been missing this effect since getting rid of my Fulltone UO. I like how you can use these as a fuzz alone too.

Is the HBE fuzz section based on a germ. fuzz face? I know the Fulltone was not; it was a Foxx Tone Machine, which was cool in it's own right, but I'd prefer it if the fuzz was a germ.

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I love the UFO. I own and use two of them. To me, it sounds like a strong Fuzz Face. It's germanium.

4. Jumblefingers

I'm not sure what is the basis for the sound but I recently had a Captain Coconut, McFuzz and Baja Tech Bone Bender come through and the UFO is much less gritty than all of them and has more sustain (using an EJ Strat). It remined me of the original triangle Big Muff (non-chip version) but others have said it does a good fuzz Face as well. When I opened the McFuzz there was a tiny board with about 10 components, this has a lot going on inside. Bottom line is I can get a whole lot of really great tones and have the added benefit of the octave which sounds great as well.

Lastly, you can get some very nice tones with the ocatve on but the guitar volume pulled back where the fuzz cleans up and octave is still present and very responsive to pick dynamics. A great pedal all around and not that expensive either!

5. retro

retro Member

I would have to respectfully disagree that the UFO fuzz sounds like a fuzz face.
    I've had two myself. But I can see if you like fuzz like Frantone's, The Sweet, one would really dig the UFO fuzz also.
    And the 8va is really good.

6. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Maybe that's the one to get next.

What about that Nick Nitro? I have heard that the fuzz on that one is decent.

7. Jumblefingers

Not being that schooled in the Fuzz Face world I could not comment but agree that the UFO is in the same camp as The Sweet and maybe even more like the Peach Fuzz (though I have not tried that in a while).

One other thing I forgot to mention that is really great....UFO is VERY quiet even when cranked with little self-noise. I REALLY dig that...

8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

cvansickle mentioned that it's germ. Does the fuzz clean up real well with the guitar's volume knob? I had a Sunface and that pedal was amazing for the that. If you rolled your vol back just a little, it cleaned up and sounded like a nice OD.

9. retro

retro Member

I know you mentioned it but having a tone control makes me scratch my head when I see others without it. Definitely a well built and quiet pedal. And great service.

10. Jumblefingers

I'll check this out further but inital impressions is it will clean up but not like many of the Fuzz Face that seem to drop the fuzz out pretty drastically with a small roll back of the guitar volume.

From what I can tell (so far) the clean up is more gradual and does not really clean up to light OD territory as you need to roll back a bit too far and then you start to loose volume. I also need to work with the Fuzz knob more but did try it from all the way off to full on and ANOTHER thing I liked is there was a marked difference in tone/gain/fuzz ALL the way through the pot taper.

I have a Fuzz Factory (love it too, different animal) and the Drive control pretty much does nothing until you get to 3-4 oclock and then WHAM!