HBE ufo opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sabbath90, Jun 5, 2006.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i'm thinking about getting one of these. i like the idea of getting a nice fuzz and octave in the same box for $150. how do these beasts sound? are they germanium? do they play nice with wah pedals? thanks!

2. chicngizzard

chicngizzard Member

The UFO is the first HBE pedal I bought. I have since purchased the Powerscreamer and the Psilocybe. Joel does top notch work. Of course tastes are different, but I think the UFO is AWESOME! My experience with it has been that, like the manual says, it likes to be first. I run it before my Clyde Deluxe wah and everything else. It is very tweakable. I don't know if it is germanium based or not. I think this may have been addressed on a different thread. Try a search and see. It definitely gets my "thumbs up"!:AOK

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i had an early red and white checerboard UFO and i thought it sounded really harsh and un-useable. it was really thin sounding, and i thought the fuzz was barely useable.....let alone the octave. it was waaaaay to shrill. since then ive had a fulltone octafuzz which was ok, and now ive finally settled on a pedalworx octabooty, but those arent being made anymore.

YMMV on the UFO however....

4. retro

retro Member

I think the UFO and HBE pedals are well made and from what I can tell great service and the UFO is priced well.

The fuzz side to me is a very typical wooly type fuzz with a somewhat unique tone that is not quite vintage. Warm, a little dark with bite IMO. It is Ge AFAIK. Also having a fuzz of any kind with a tone pot is IMO a good thing and should be standard fare. Since it's not that standard and the UFO has one, another plus there.

The octave I liked quite bit and where I appreciated the tone control the most. Worked well up and down the neck and even with the neck pup. Decent bloom and can be dialed to relatively wild places.

Fuzz IMO very rig dependent also, so...

Since it is what I call the wooly type, it affected my amps tone too much for my taste and I couldn't dial it in with the tone control. Having said that just about every fuzz I've tried is like that and I am very particular about what happens to the amp tone when hitting the switch. I am very vintage orientated and want a vintage fuzz that cuts and doesn't really affect my EQ the way a typical fuzz does.

I know people love this fuzz and use it just for the fuzz itself and has many fans.

So depending on your gear and ears it might be just the thing you are looking for.

I ran it after my wah and no problems there.

I never tried it in a mix so I can't speak to how the UFO may cut live.

5. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

hmmm...maybe mine was broken....alot of people say that they love the UFO...mine just sounded like poop....

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

I love the UFO! I have two, one on both the big board and little board.

It sounds pretty good with my Clyde wah. What I really like to do is stack it with another fuzz going into it, my Frantone The Sweet, with octave up on.

7. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

is this thing more on the big muff or fuzz face side of town?

i use an ac30, jtm45, and orange rocker30 (sometimes at the same time :)) live. my guitars are a les paul jr, SG, and a strat.

my band is sort of a psychadelic hard rock band (people call it stoner rock but i hate that term). we also do old soul covers. some otis redding, some curtis mayfield, etc etc. honestly, the name is what grabbed me at first because i love space rock.

8. retro

retro Member

Between the two I would lean towards the muff side but it has it's own voice IMO.

I'm using a JTM45 with Strats and an SG.

9. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

It's cool for what it is. A fuzz pedal, that does octavia type tones. It doesn't track like a normal Boss Octaver or something like that. Very cool stuff.

Seems like it works best with single coils to me.

Another HBE Junkie's 2 cents.

10. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Have (2) of them and IMO it's a great and versatile fuss ocatve pedal. Fuzz is as stated by others more towards the smooth/wooley early Big Muff category with LOTS of sustain. Tone control is really excellent and should be standard fare on more fuzz pedals. Octave tracks very well all over the neck and has it's own footswitch and LED and when you turn the Octave on the LED stays lit even if the pedal is in bypass so you know what to expect when you hit the ON/OFF switch (nice feature). One other thing is HBE uses diffuser lenses over the LED's which are very bright and you can see them at just about any angle as opposed to some LEDS that are hard to see off axis.

Build quality of all HBE pedals is one of the best with the circuit mounted on metal stand offs and that battery attached to the bottom plate with a holder with rivets holding it in place. REALLY solid.

11. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

excellent! ordered one this morning! this should be PERFECT for my band. i'm really excited about testing it out with my strat and wizard wah.