hd-28v or 000-28ec

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by wsaraceni, Jul 10, 2005.

which one???

1. hd-28v

2. 000-28ec

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i love both of these guitars. which would you choose and why

2. kilgorekid

kilgorekid Member

I prefer the 28ec because of the more comfortable body size and the 1.75" nut. Both are great guitars-it just depends on your preferences.
    Bill

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

dred vs OOO ??

you need both!!!! :dude

4. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i know. got 6000 ya wanna loan me long term :D

5. riffmeister

that's why they made credit cards........:dude

seriously, if I could only have a dread or an OM, I'd go with the dread because a good one sounds sooooooo damn good (big, rich, etc)!!! but that's a hypothetical question........I have one of each. :cool:

6. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

ah

which model do you have.

i played them both the other day at guitar center for my girlfriend. first the hd-28v. she said it looked nice. she said it sounded like an acoustic. i played some strumming with a pick and some finger picking stuff. then played a few DMB tunes for her...she is a big fan.

next i played the 000-28ec. she said that it sounded better for the same thing. i pointed out that she said the first sounded like an acoustic should. she said...yes but the second sounded better.

she did notice that the neck wasnt as glossy on the hd-28v which was nice..

general consensus. she said go with the clapton.

i'll probably end up with both.

7. riffmeister

couple things to keep in mind.........play two of the same model acoustics side by side and guess what.......they will sound different. so its always best if you can A/B a couple of the same model to see what floats your boat. also, strings...........they make a huge difference in sound, so try to demo two guitars (same model or different) both with new strings. the string quality at GC is particularly horrible.......they never wipe them off between demos and they never change them unless you request them to.

all that said, the EC triple O is a nice sounding guitar, I've played several and thought they all sound pretty darn nice.

my guitars are Collings, an Adirondack/mahogany dread, and an Adirondack/mahogany OM. They both are great for different things. But like I said, for me, I'd keep the dread if I could only keep one.

8. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Triple ought vs. Dreadnaught... the question of the century, my friend, for all of us. Play 'em both and let your nether regions decide.

9. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

I was in the same place you are about 6 months ago. I loved both guitars but could not make up my mind. Then I played a Bourgeois Vintage D. It was no contest. Even my wife, who plays piano, said that the Martins were not even close. Flat or finger style - it does both extremely well.

Design wise, it's very similar to the HD 28 V - forward shifted bracing, etc..., but you get an Adirondack spruce top, bone nut/saddle, playablitly and build quality that are among the best. He also goes with a 23/32 nut width, which is right in the middle between the two Martings and it feels great.

10. CS'56

CS'56 Member

Both are fantastic guitars. Because of my playing style I chose the 000-28ec:)

11. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Supporting Member

The 000-28EC is the one acoustic I keep coming back to. I totally appreciate the hugeness of the HD-28V, but the 000 is just so articulate, balanced and simply fun to play.

And I LOVE that neck!

12. fractal

fractal Member

I played a 000-28ec the other day and really liked it. It felt good, and the short scale was fun to play.

-Garrett

13. larrylover

larrylover Member

These guitars are two different things. If you must choose one, I think it important to know what you are using them for? Playing by yourself? The 000 will sound more balanced low to high than a dreadnought and sound great for finger picking. It is no surprise that in your audition of the two with your girlfriend, she preferred the sound of the 000. That experience is what that guitar is for. Are you playing with a group where you have to cut through? The dread is usually the better choice. The great bottom and sweet top achieves the cut: that's what that guitar does.

Finally, as other said, you have to decide.

And as someone said, perhaps you want to see what a Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz or a Goodall, among others, can do. All make tweeners between dreads and 000 size and you might find one that completely jizzes you.

14. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

HD-28V is probably my favorite guitar in the Martin lineup. I would probably also consider a Collings if I were looking for something similar.

15. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Have you ever played a J-40? I just think this is Martins best, hard to find but great guitars. It has the best of both. I only have one complaint; why can’t all Martins have good playability and intonation ... from the factory.

I have owned Martins and Taylors. I currently own a high end Gibson. but I get bummed when I play an awesome looking and sounding Guitar only to find that it is not in tune up the neck or it plays so hard it is no fun.

If Takamini or Taylor can make a guitar in tune so can Martin.

That being said the short scale 000's are generally better in that regard.

I vote 000.

16. erksin

erksin Member

Isn't the 28 a 12-fret neck joint? I love how those sound - puts the bridge right in the middle of the top. Like hitting the center of a snare drum - big tones...