HD 500 Owners: Would you buy model packs?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Pietro, Feb 10, 2012.

Will yo buy HD 500 model packs

1. Yes, I gots to have me some more ampz!

2. No, I'm okay with the meager assortment that's already on there.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Simple question, really... If they make model packs at reasonable prices, will you buy them?

2. crispsandwich

crispsandwich Member

Yes, I would. I like the amp selection we currently have, but would like a few more (Soldano, Mark IV, Dumble....) :)

3. Dr.Fix

Dr.Fix Member

Ehm, I hope them to be free for HD Pro, since we paid the unit much more than HD500...

anyway... the answer to the question depends on what packs contain and their price...

4. tochiro

tochiro Member

No because the required improvements are not about adding more amps.

5. nsriley

nsriley Member

I probably would.......I am taking delivery of my second HD500 today....sold my first one to go to software modeling, but miss my floorboard to turn pedals on and off etc.....

6. rcl

rcl Member

I'd still have CPU issues. Because of that, I wont put another penny into the unit.

7. jgribble57

jgribble57 Member

I was happy with the original unit and have been thrilled with the free updates.

I would LOVE it if they did cheap single amp downloads with discounts for an amp pack. I believe with the XT packs it was $50 for 18 additional amps. I think double this cost, so $5 per amp would be an ideal price point for me, or 5 amps for $20. I'd like to see packs for acoustic/vocal, bass, boutique, metal. Of those I'd only personally be interested in the acoustic/vocal & boutique.

8. DarthVanHollis

DarthVanHollis Member

I've said this before on the Line6 forum but I'll say it here too.
    It cannot take too much effort to model an amp. They have been doing it for over 10 years and there has to be some way that Line6 can say it takes x amout of time and costs y amount of money per amp model. They would easily sell enough to cover the costs. Even more so if they sell bundles (clean amps, classic amps, new school amps). The number of amps they have now is really only 17 or 18 when you don't include bright/normal channels and preamp only.
    I could care less about clean amps but here is a short list of amps that they should consider:
    Signature Amp bundle (even half of this list would easily be worth $50):
    Variac'd Plexi (Brown Sound)
    Randall Modules (Lynch and Hammet)
    5150 (#1 and the new #3)
    Eric Clapton Fender amps (the brand new ones)
    Carvin Legacy
    Joe Bonamassa Two-Rock
    Randall Dimebag
    Marshall YJM
    Marshall AFD and Slash
    Marshall Zakk Wylde
    Marshall Kerry King
    Engle (Steve Morse and Ritchie Blackmore models)

Boutique High Gain amps:
    Deizel (several models)
    Friedman (several models)
    Metro
    Cameron
    Gibson Lab Series L7 (King's X)

This is a start and even if it took 4-6 guys working for 2 months there is no way they would lose money on this.

I have to think that the product has been out for almost 1.5 years now and they are just about to put out the first BIG update (2.0). There will probably not be another big update but may be up to 2.2 or 2.3.
    There has to be some other reason they are not doing bundle packs. Any ideas????

9. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

Frankly after thinking about it... No I won't buy them. All other manufacturers give you the entire package with the unit, or in the case of the Axe, with free updates.

Amp packs were one of the reason's I returned the XTL... 50 bucks for an amp pack on top of what you already paid.

I also wouldn't call what is available now.. "meager". Sometimes quality is better than quantity (and that is still just an opinion).

10. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

This. Pick/volume knob responsiveness and better cab sims are more important than having more amps. I wish Line 6 got rid of that horrid 3 kHz emphasis on the "direct" output mode, it becomes unbearable after a few minutes. IMHO of course.

11. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

This is a tough question. I don't play in cover bands so don't really need a million amp models to cover my bases. In fact, in a typical performance scenario I only use 1 or 2 amps. IMHO, the thing which bugs me most about all non-ir loading modeling units is the cabinets have typically been modeled close miced and on axis (the GT-10 and perhaps the Zoom G2 offered some mic placement options, but didn't capture the level of realism I'd prefer). In all my years of recording and performance, it has been an extremely rare occasion in which my amp was miced this way. In the vast majority of scenarios, the mic was at least off axis and in many recording situations giving the mic some space works wonders. I think the HD500's early reflection stuff is very good at mimicking the feeling of having some space, but the tonal response is still sounds close miced and on axis.

So I guess for me personally, I'm not sure I'd buy any model packs unless there were some specific amps which appealed to me (and I'm one of those odd ducks who doesn't much care for high gain stuff) and would much, much prefer them either add IR loading or rework the cab models to allow some type of mic placement parameter. Second to that, I 'd love to see them give the HD treatment to the stomp box and modulation sections of the unit.

12. AZG

AZG Supporting Member

I wish you would of included a maybe option. A year ago my answer would of been yes, but now I am considering other options like the Boss GT-100. And as others have already stated, I also think it is more important they improve dynamics/volume response, cabs, EQ, etc than add new stuff. However after 1.5 years of minimal improvements I doubt it will happen.

13. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

Holy smokes, I thought I was the only one noticing this :bitch

14. DRS

DRS Member

Sure
    Give me a Tweed Deluxe, a Boogie IIc+, and a SLO100 for a resonable cost, $29.99, and I'm in. Give the people want they want:mob

15. KozMcCharlie

KozMcCharlie Member

No... You aren't the only one. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention as it is exactly the same frequency as the most annoying sounds in the universe. It is also the reason why I am very glad to have a good parametric EQ on my FRFR monitors.

But yeah... They should fix it before addressing model packs for more $$$$$.

:mob

Edit: As I hit post, I remembered that the "overemphasis" is in the same frequency range as the squeal issue (just had it the other night at low level through speakers, luckily). Perhaps it will be effected by the fix for this squeal issue.

16. Chris Martins

Chris Martins Member

I'd buy.

I'd buy today if they'd release them... :)

17. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Don't know, probably not. I only use a few in it now (Rt.66, Fender Twin, JTM45, Bogner) and am fairly happy with those. The addition of a Plexi might complete the set if it's a good model.

Better cab sims would be nice, but the ones in there now are workable. I would pay for a global EQ though, if necessary.

18. TomWaitsForNoMan

TomWaitsForNoMan Member

I voted yes, but really it would only be on certain terms. I would love to see an "Ala Cart" style format where you could pick and choose at a flat rate for each model. I would have no problems spending a few bucks for a SLO, or Two Rock, or something really cool.

However, I have no interest in dishing out $50 or more for teh brutzzz METALLLLL PACKKKK !!1111

19. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

I don't need any and I'm perfectly content if they don't.

But if they did, I'd plunk down a few bucks if there was stuff that I thought I might like to play with.

20. bigtone82

bigtone82 Member

If it was a high gain amp pack I might think twice, but who am I kidding I'd probably still get it. Being a gamer in this age every game comes out with DLC nowadays, and everyone flocks to pick it up. I'm sure the majority of HD users would. Line 6 probably just has their engineers working on the bugs/tweaks everyone is wanting fixed (hopefully) Once that happens I think this would be a no-brainer/easy money maker for them.