HD+DT rig takes pedals very well indeed

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Axe-Man, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I was struggling with the inbuilt drives on the POD (which are ok but ultimately fairly average - the TS, Tube Drive and Tube Comp are decent) as I was trying to get a nice, natural Marshall tone. I was getting closer but it had no bark or no nice compression and growl so I thought stuff it, I'll run my pedals and see how it takes them.

I ran my Kingsley Minstrel tube preamp pedal (it's a proper plate voltage tube preamp in a pedal) in the loop and then out front and wow, what a difference that made. It's producing a killer Marshall tone now. The loop worked ok but in front it provides a more open and dynamic feel and it drives the HD sim really naturally.

Whether it's ACDC, Randy R or Iron Maiden, I feel I now have Marshall tones fairly well covered. The Fender stuff is already good so now I need to dial in the Recto tones and tweak the Vox Brian May kinda sounds.

TBH, the Marshall tones I have now are much superior to my old 11R rig and are the closest 'Marshalleque' tones to a real Marshall I've personally heard (live) from a Modeller (IMHO).

The rig provides a killer low volume practice sound too. Starting to be quite impressed with this little amp.

2. Hellbound

Hellbound Member

That's good to hear.

Can I clarify where you are putting the pedal: is it in the HD loop or the DT loop?

Thanks

3. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Through the front end (guitar input).

What I also find is that is feels better too. Seeing it's also tube pre it provides a nice dynamic response and really lifts the HD+DT combination.

Will try my Kingsley Juggler next.

4. coderKen

coderKen Supporting Member

That would be in front of the HD, correct?

5. HunterNZ

HunterNZ Member

Remember you can move the FX-loop position in the chain on the HD. Did you try it with the loop in front of the amp sim? Did that still sound different to using it inline before the HD?

6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Yeah the HD guitar input rather than the DT...though I imagine the DT would work just the same as I tried it with and without the HD preamp sim.

The loop was definitely in front of the sim (else you get alot of nasty distortion). I just found it sounded much more natural when it wasn't in the loop. I guess it's going through two rounds of analogue to digital to analogue conversion.

I wish the HD had the relay based true bypass setup from the M series. Major oversight IMHO as the HD really does knock the signal around.

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Well, the M-series has discrete effects processors (even if they are on a single chip), and the HD series is totally configurable in terms of order and even footswitch placement, so I'm guessing this is impossible.

for the record, I spent some time and was able to get the tube drive mod and my external BB preamp to sound basically the same. I'm more and more impressed with a handful of those drives in the HD.