HD Z-90 in Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sfarnell, Feb 18, 2012.

1. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

My '52 Hot Rod Tele was listed in the emporium with no takers so I decided to keep it and look for some new pickups because I wasn't crazy about the SD mini hum. In researching pickups for a tele I ran across a thread about the Z-90 and based on that thread, and Dana Olsen's opinion which I respect, I bought a Z-90 for the neck of the tele. I've had it a day and all I can say is it is very unique sounding. I'm partial to single coils and this pickup delivers that single coil sound and has that warm tone great for a tele neck pup when the guitar volume is turned down a bit. With the guitar volume turned up the pickup roars and has more a HB sound. It's articulate and exposes all clams in a big way. I don't think that I've ever heard a pickup like this one. I like it much better than the mini hum, and it looks great too.

[​IMG]

2. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Steve -

I just happened to see this thread, and this pic - looks great! I'm glad you're digging the Z-90 - and I agree, they're very unique and excellent sounding pickups.

And they can be kinda revealing, too, but I think they respond well to the vol and tone knobs, which makes 'em very 'dial-able' on the fly - an always convenient feature, especially on gigs.

Keep us posted - I hope it does good by you! Your Tele looks really cool w/ the Z-90.

Take it EZ Steve, and you get a huge THUMBS UP for experimentation!

Thanks, Dana O.

3. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

I'm still amazed how underrated Harmonic Design pickups are compared to some of the bigger boutique guys.

In my experience, they're absolutely fabulous.

Congrats on giving that nice Tele a second life!

4. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Thanks guys. I'm loving the z-90 in the tele. The blend with the bridge pickup is very balanced and beautiful. It's not that noisy either....maybe some changes were made to it because I was expecting a really noisy pickup based on what I read. It's no noisier than a standard strat pickup.

Coldfingaz, I didn't know that the z-90 was underrated. I thought I was buying the boutique of boutique pickups. Oh well. :):)