• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

HD400 or M9?

mikeymoves

Silver Supporting Member
I have an M9 right now, but an opportunity to pick up an HD400 for cheap cheap cheap.

I used to have an HD500, but moved to pedals and got a nice amp (Orange TH30). I liked the idea of putting the M9 in the Effects Loops of the Orange with the an MXR 10 band EQ pedal (can I put both in the loop together?) but honestly, there's something about the fidelity of the M9 effects that I am not crazy about. I am convinced the HD500 sounded better, but I wasn't crazy about the pre-amp models. I am thinking running 4 cable with the HD400 might be a good choice given the expanded options. What would YOU do!

I do place a premium on the controls and size of the M9 though...

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
The M9 and M13 are FAR better as "pedalboards" than the HD series.

mikeymoves

Silver Supporting Member
Without a doubt, but you can do SO much more with the HD line outside of just gigging.

mikeymoves

Silver Supporting Member
I actually found an HD500 for $100 and pulled the trigger on it. I've got it running 4 cable and it's working fine save for a ground hum issue.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
The HD500 offers tremendous flexibility in terms of routing options, has amp/cab sims should you ever need them, and a built in expression pedal. But, it is considerably larger than an M9, and has a few more obstacles to overcome if you want to run it for fx only. I use mine both ways, but found that using as fx only in the front end of a tube amp requires patience. I found it easier to use as a full on modeling rig, and have not yet gotten it to the point where I am as satisfied with it for fx only. I too struggle with the "clarity" of the Line 6 fx, and just despise their od tones. Very harsh.

But, it still has a place for me. Though I own an 11R and a traditional pedalboard as well, both of which sound better to me, I still use the POD a lot. It is a great tool to use live, where that extra bit of magic that higher end gear can have does not translate to an audience.

anyone

The M9 and M13 are FAR better as "pedalboards" than the HD series.
Because of sound quality or practicality?
I actually found an HD500 for $100 and pulled the trigger on it. I've got it running 4 cable and it's working fine save for a ground hum issue.
Lucky dog! Stoked you found a great deal and that it's working for you.
The HD500 offers tremendous flexibility in terms of routing options, has amp/cab sims should you ever need them, and a built in expression pedal. But, it is considerably larger than an M9, and has a few more obstacles to overcome if you want to run it for fx only. I use mine both ways, but found that using as fx only in the front end of a tube amp requires patience. I found it easier to use as a full on modeling rig, and have not yet gotten it to the point where I am as satisfied with it for fx only. I too struggle with the "clarity" of the Line 6 fx, and just despise their od tones. Very harsh.

But, it still has a place for me. Though I own an 11R and a traditional pedalboard as well, both of which sound better to me, I still use the POD a lot. It is a great tool to use live, where that extra bit of magic that higher end gear can have does not translate to an audience.
Thanks for that. Yeah, I mainly want a looper and something to record with, but then I start thinking that it'd be cool if I could use it in place of pedals... I'm borrowing a buddy's M9 at the moment, and I'm having a lot of fun with it, but I know what you mean about the clarity...

mikeymoves

Silver Supporting Member
Clarity is a good word to use. It's funny, as I dial in the "mix" on effects, I find that "mix" should be renamed "tone kill." The more you mix in an effect, the more it destroys the fidelity of the guitar/amp/dynamics. It's much worse on any sort of mod/pitch/filter.

anyone

Clarity is a good word to use. It's funny, as I dial in the "mix" on effects, I find that "mix" should be renamed "tone kill." The more you mix in an effect, the more it destroys the fidelity of the guitar/amp/dynamics. It's much worse on any sort of mod/pitch/filter.
Yeah, "tone kill" or maybe even "Paradox" because when you turn it up the veneer gets simultaneously thicker and thinner (more effect and less like the real thing...). It's still a lot of fun though... I really dig the lo-fi delay, and I actually like the overdrive and facial fuzz for what they are.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom