HD500 - ABITW Pt.2 Solo - Can it get any better?

travisvwright

I would :p
The performance was 99.99% there. It's tough when millions of guitarists know and learn the same solo note for note. I think I could hum or sing this guitar solo it's so amazingly melodic and memorable.
But yes, great performance and great tone!
I probably could if comparing to the album version. I wasn't even thinking of that one becuase seems all th DG I hear is vidoes of different concerts, those I couldn't tell from this YT.

3dognate

so you're saying we should get a producer...and hire david gilmour to play all our parts?
If you want to sound like 1978ish Pink Floyd then yeah... though now that I think about it wasn't "The Wall" self produced?

You'd be well served by just having rare talent like Dave...

GuitarKidd

May be a little bit OT but... this guy shares his great patches:

It's not Another brick in the wall but marooned, to me the sound is 99% there. He explains how to do with the Pod HD.
Very good website:
http://www.dueymoore.com/david_gilmour_tone_guide_pod_h.html

Here the video, to me the outcome is impressive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=Up77qtDA7F0
You wonder if the vid I found, the guy made his patches off of this... Great find and again, thanks for posting and sharing.

burningyen

Not sure if anyone has seen this video, but this has to be one of the best replications of the tone Gilmour got on the recording of Another Brick In The Wall Pt.2. on any modeler. I've heard it played by many of modelers, but this has to be the closest that I have ever heard. I'm sure the pickups are helping in this a lot.

I don't think this guy has posted the patch on custom tone, and not sure if he is sending out the patch. I requested it from him a few days ago and haven't received it yet.

It's a great cover, but the tone does sound more like a Strat to me than what's on the record:

I can't play it as well as the guy in the OP, but here's my attempt at the tone at 1:25:

Also what amp does one use to simulate gilmours direct to the board original take?
It was direct to board via a compressor and then re-amped through a Mesa/Boogie.
A gold top lp with an incredibly stratty sounding p90 neck pickup
I don't think it sounds particularly Stratty at all. To my ears it has a lot more midrange bark, not surprising given how it was recorded.
... though now that I think about it wasn't "The Wall" self produced?
Sort of, it was co-produced by Waters, Bob Ezrin, Gilmour, and James Guthrie. On ABITW, it was Ezrin that had the idea to bring in the children's chorus. He had a huge impact on that album.

Last edited:

hobbes1

thanks for this. i always find it interesting to see/hear someone else's methods of dialing in sounds. one must keep in mind though, what the author of the the webpage below states: this is how it works for him with his own setup and that's the crux of many woes in modeling. everyone has different setups and gear and often...very often...maybe most of the time?....a good patch for you will sound crappy on my setup and vice versa.
thanks for posting the links though as the methodical approach to dialing in a tone can be really helpful.

It's not Another brick in the wall but marooned, to me the sound is 99% there. He explains how to do with the Pod HD.
Very good website:

GuitarKidd

Very good website:

I will say that I applied the same techniques used in the links above and found the patch to be absolutely fantastic. What I was surprised mostly by was how smooth, creamy, and chewy the tone became after placing the tube compressor after the mixer. It just really warmed up and tightened the grit from the tube driver.

I was going to record some stuff, but the HD Edit crashed (see my post in the Critical Bug Fix thread) and that zilched that process. But I will say give the patch in the link above a shot and see what you think.

Last edited:

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
It's a great cover, but the tone does sound more like a Strat to me than what's on the record:

I don't think (the recorded version) sounds particularly Stratty at all. To my ears it has a lot more midrange bark, not surprising given how it was recorded.
Well you must be the only one. Pretty much every Gilmour fan at some point has assumed that it was a strat on that recording until they are presented with the facts - myself included. Case in point: 'ol Gasp100 has been a fan of gilmour for over 20 years and found out in this very thread that it was not a strat. He was surprised and Gasp has good ears and has owned several P-90 guitars.

GuitarKidd

Well you must be the only one. Pretty much every Gilmour fan at some point has assumed that it was a strat on that recording until they are presented with the facts - myself included. Case in point: 'ol Gasp100 has been a fan of gilmour for over 20 years and found out in this very thread that it was not a strat. He was surprised and Gasp has good ears and has owned several P-90 guitars.
I have always assumed that it was a strat to. I knew about the recording process and that it was straight to the board and back out and compressed and all that jazz, which made replicating it live very difficult.

But it doesn't surprise me that he used a Paul, infact, makes that "tone" more understandable IMO. It was just so warm and thick sounding to my ears. I will say though that Gilmour does a very good job in making a strat not sound like a strat.

GuitarKidd

Since there are 257 PAGES worth of patches...

I'm guessing this particular patch is it?

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/217608/

(they really need more organizational tools, 257 random pages to wade through is a bit overwhelming).
Looks like it. He responded to my Youtube comment and said he posted it earlier today and I tried finding it and couldn't based on his username and asked that he try to upload it again.

Did you try it... How's it sound with your geetar and amplification setup
?

78deluxe

Looks like it. He responded to my Youtube comment and said he posted it earlier today and I tried finding it and couldn't based on his username and asked that he try to upload it again.

Did you try it... How's it sound with your geetar and amplification setup
?
Haven't tired it yet, just found it sitting here at work. (can't even view the settings til I get home as i don't have the Edit on this computer).

I have an HD300, so I'll have to transfer his exact settings to the 300 when I get a chance.

GuitarKidd

Haven't tired it yet, just found it sitting here at work. (can't even view the settings til I get home as i don't have the Edit on this computer).

I have an HD300, so I'll have to transfer his exact settings to the 300 when I get a chance.
Same here but I do have edit on my PC. So here ya go guys. Nothing really odd ball on this set up at all, other than the noise gate is after the effects and just before the amp, and the only thing after the amp is the reverb.

jdalf

nice patch, lotsa clean sustain, thanks for posting it, mr gionster, good job

I know i've seen a youtube of gilmour from an 80's concert playing just a brick with the gold LP with p90's, big fat neck single coil tone, just cant find it now

Trending Topics