• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

hd500 and mixing

zombieskank84

I have the pod hd500 and wanted to use it for a recording interface to get band rehearsal and simple recordings. I was wondering if whenever v2.0 comes out, could I use a mixer in the future to add mic inputs to record drums, or should I invest in a separate interface?

mdme_sadie

You can use an analog mixer in front of the HD500 as it is right now to record multiple ins. However you wont get multiple tracks when recording, just a single stereo track.

If you want to be able to separate the tracks and adjust the mix after the event then you'll want to do multiple tracks and that would involve getting another interface for the job. If that's nto important then I don't see anything stopping you from using an analog mixer directly into the HD. But I'd find out from people who are more used to recording Live sound first.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
You can add ONE mike if you want to.

You really want to do what mdme_sadie describes, though.

zombieskank84

Ok, it's mostly just me and a drummer, if I hooked up an sm57 in the middle of the room, using the pod just s the interface to the CPU, could I get an ok recording of our rehearsal/jams?

dannopelli

Dude, there are lots of things out there REALLY inexpensive that will do the trick properly for you. I would not do either of the things you ask, even for just a "mic in the room" mix.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
You could potentially split your signal and place all guitar effects in one path and nothing in the other and then assign the inputs accordingly. It would work, but here's are some way better options IMHO.

For single mic in the room type stuff, maybe pick up one of these: http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h2n

For multi-track, one of these: http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/r16

Very affordable and capable of excellent results. The only floor boards which worked as true interfaces were the old Digitech GNX series. Good luck!

green72

Silver Supporting Member
Dude, there are lots of things out there REALLY inexpensive that will do the trick properly for you. I would not do either of the things you ask, even for just a "mic in the room" mix.
He wouldn't be able to record the guitar through the HD and then drums through the HD at the same time, unless of course he is going clean, or doesn't mind his effects or distortion on the mic, which I'm sure he would.

If has another amp going, the single mic recording both of them would work. It wouldn't be that great of course.

But then again, there's a mic preamp on the V2 update, if it ever get's released. Maybe it'll work?

I'm looking forward to it. I just became aware of the USB capability on mine. I have a V-drum kit and Addictive drums and a keyboard going into my EMU0404. The HD500 covers, or will cover bass and vocals plus guitar. I'm set really.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom