1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

HD500 - DT50 - Variax - Stevie Nicks Youtube

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by AndyZ, May 17, 2011.

1. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Thought I'd share... In case you wanted to see someone using this combination, my buddy Carlos Rios sent me this link today of him playing the HD500/DT50/Variax with Stevie Nicks last week on the Ellen Show. The rig and the band sounded great!

Considering Stevie had pneumonia and still sang great is a testament to her ability.

I helped Carlos dial the tour rig in using HD500 v1.20 firmware. We'll be updating and revising all patches on v1.31 next week for the next leg of the tour.

They will also be on Dancing With The Stars performing tonight 5/17 with the same setup.

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Member

The lead guitarist with the long hair looks like he's playing a strat, so I assume Carlos is the left-handed guitarist on the right? I didn't realize Line6 made left-hand versions of the Variax. Unfortunately, when I listened to the clip it was hard to pick him out as the lead guitarist was way more prominent in the mix.

3. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

is that Waddy Wachtel on the left with the strat?

Carlos be sounding GOOD......just wait til he gets the 1.31 upgrade. it is SIGNIFICANTLY better.....:agree

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Carlos is the lefty. He's a bad-ass sideman. From his site: (he) has performed and/or recorded with Madonna, Whitney Houston, Chick Corea, Lionel Richie, Herbie Hancock, Earth, Wind and Fire, Joe Zawinul, Fleetwood Mac, and many more. Here's his site: http://www.myspace.com/carlosriosguitar

Sounded great. Totally professional and given that Stevie had pneumonia and a) sounded great; b) did the show to begin with... that's totally professional.

Love tight, well done, well performed music. :aok

Good stuff.

5. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Uglybass... actually that lead line you hear Waddy play, Carlos is doubling it. Waddy mostly does the droning part on the strat whille Carlos does the crunch chords and comping parts.

The old Variax 500's were lefty for a short time. Not sure if the 700's were back then to be honest. Carlos also brings 2-3 custom Carruthers guitars, but we dialed in the Variax 500 to sound like 90-95% of those so he could save guitar patches along with the HD500. It's pretty cool to see 2 diverse players as Carlos and Waddy work so well together. Both killer players!

Scott, don't forget Gino Vanelli's Brother to Brother album too!

6. deanesque

deanesque Member

Yes it was. Great player!

7. coderKen

coderKen Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just think it's awesome to see an actual touring pro (who could most certainly have his choice of rig) that is using pretty much the exact same modeling rig that I'm working on putting together (except I'm looking at the JTV-59 instead of the -69...).

8. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

you WILL see more and more guys with this rig :agree

9. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Johnny Natural from Ushers band is using the same setup on his current world tour. As I believe Michael Fish is with the current Backstreet Boys/Boys 2 Men boyband stadium tour. There's more too...

10. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

it's gonna rapidly become the rig of choice for touring sidemen in a LOT of bands....because it's affordable and amazing!

11. the twangler

the twangler Member

Always great to see a lefty Variax 500 user like myself, and with high visibility. Tyler Variax HAS to get its act together and provide a lefty version of the JT69. We lefties are sticking by loyally after 6 years now, with 6 year old technology to boot.

12. coderKen

I had been a little on the fence as to weather or not to go for this rig because it means selling a guitar (or two) in order fund it. I just really hate the idea of selling a guitar even if the JTV would be replacing them. However, now I'm convinced that is the way to go.

Now I just have to decide if I want the DT-50 combo or the head + a cab (probably a smaller 2x12 cab instead of the 4x12 L6 one...). Decisions, decisions... :)

13. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

the combos are HEAVY -- i think if i had the choice again, i would go with the HEAD version, so i could use whatever cab i needed depending on the gig ;)

14. coderKen

That's where I'm leaning myself. Although, I'm in no big rush to get the amp. I mostly play in church now and I've been fine with running direct and monitoring through our in-ear for now. We meet in a school auditorium and it's a real pain to haul the amp around to one place for rehearsals and then another for Sunday mornings. When we finally get our own building, I'll probably just leave a cab there and get one for the house and move the head back and forth.

15. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Let me add that the DT50 4x12 cab is specficially designed/voiced for that amp. Not that others won't work well, but the interaction between them has the magic! The 212 is weighty... about the same as an AC30. The 112 is more managable if you have to carry it yourself.

16. coderKen

Aw man. I wants the magic! :)