HD500 - Emulating Bass Guitar Sounds Problems

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MikeNiteRail, Feb 5, 2012.

1. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I am trying to set up my HD500 to let me singing/hum basslines. I tweaked all the bass patches I could from customtone.com, and tried dialing in some on my own.

The end results are always muddy, but totally gig worthy through my QSC's. However, everytime I try to record them through my Onyx Blackjack and Reaper, they sound like @$$ and I get a weird high-end distortion/ringing on playback. The sound only occurs on playback - never live and never upon recording at home and monitoring - just playback.

Like I said, live I get some solid bottom end well placed in the mix. I am not crazy about the tone, but it is useable. At my last show, my bassist/soundman friend thought I had a solid live sound faking bass, so again, I know I am fine live.

My current patch has a tube comp>bass octaver>Bassman.

I don't play guitar, and I run everything into the mic in...

SM57 (used for harmonica, beatboxing, and signing bass parts)
    Pod HD500 - stereo out
    Boomerang III stereo out
    Onyx Blackjack

I am VERY pleased with my harmonica patches based around the Bassman. They stack up against anything I've had recorded professionally or live. It also sounds great compared to albums I am into. The beatboxing sounds are solid for now, and my technique is what is lacking.

The bass, though, is KILLING ME. Especially since I can't get a decent recording of it.

Any help at all???

Honestly, I've tried recording bass like this direct via a M13, Boss OC-2, and Danelectro Chili Dog...always the same issue - works fine in real time, sounds good live, but sounds awful and has a weird ringing distortion live.

I've asked for help for this via gearslutz, harmonycentral and Audacity's form (as I was using Audacity). Here is a link to further explanation and audio.

Thanks!

2. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I would even be grateful for other suggestions of where I might consider posing this issue...forum, lists, etc.

Thanks!

3. beavisguitar99

beavisguitar99 Member

Pruebe a reducir el bajo en el modelo de amplificador para aclarar algunas de la pelusa que se obtiene de gama baja demasiado. No me gustaría ver lo que sus padres son como.

4. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

new bass amp model coming in v2.0 of the HD 500 software. Might solve your problem.

I have never heard of anybody else trying to do this this way, though... so sorry, can't help you...