HD500 - How to toggle between amps in single preset?

Ringleader42

I know there are quite a few HD500 pros who hang out here so I'm hoping someone would kindly help me out...

I want to run dual amp paths, one path with the amp disabled but containing the fx loop block (with a Blackstar pedal) for distorted tones and the other path using a clean amp, and toggle between the two paths with an assigned footswitch. I can't figure out how to do this without burning a vol/pan effects block and using an exp pedal.

Whenever I run a dual amp path, even if one of the amps is disbled and the other is enabled, clean signal from the disabled amp path runs in parallel with and thus mixes with my enabled amp path. Has anybody figured out a clever way to toggle between amps with a footswitch without burning an effects block? Or am I missing something obvious here...

Danny W.

You are missing the "Bypass Volume Control."

In the display window or the editor select the amp that's bypassed and you'll see the bypass volume control appear with the amp controls. Turn it all the way down, then do it for the other amp when it is bypassed.

Danny W.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Another way is with an expression pedal.

Have it go from full on A/full off B to full off A/full on B and you can even park it in the middle and get both.

ANOTHER very clever thing (that I am doing) is where one position of the expression pedal is your clean setting for an amp and the other one is the dirty setting (you can change the whole tonal signature of the amp, not just gain and master... it's way cool). If it's the same amp you're using with different settings (some, like the Z and the /13 are too cool for this!) this is a great way to have two amp settings and only one instance, so you save processing (which I desperately need...).

I have not tried doing this with a footswitch. What Danny W. describes sounds cool and fun!

Ringleader42

Thanks for the replies. With your help I was able to get it working. I was misinterpreting the bypassed volume control.

If anyone else decides to do this, since I was using the fx loop block as my distorted tones and not dual amps, I had to put the fx loop block after the mixer block in series instead of using a dual amp path to get it working right. The bypassed amp vol is set at max. Assign the fx loop and amp blocks to the same footswitch (one off and one on) and you're good to go. This setup just keeps getting better and better.

Trending Topics